Nemesis NA-650 vs. Yorkville XS400H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Mar 12, 2006.

1. steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm in the market for a new head, and I've narrowed it down to these two. I'll be running the head to an 8-ohm Aguilar S210 cab, eventually getting a second 8-ohm cab, either a 1x12 or 1x15.

What say you, TBers? Which head would you get, and why? And by the way, how do I get an avatar attached to my profile? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.
  2. Tough choice. I'd probaly say Yorkville because I like the look of it more, and for not much more money you could get the XS800H instead, which would be over twice the wattage of the nemesis. That's my $0.02
  3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i'd go nemesis - i have the NC-210 combo, which is pretty much the same head but with more power and some extra features, and i ove this thing to bits...great clean tone and a nicely voiced powerful EQ
  4. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    IIRC Yorkville has better waranty.
    I think you can't go wrong with these two heads.
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had a XS800. Personally, I found the tone quite lifeless. I also had a NA650. Quite nice tone on the other hand (classic Eden tone). NO contest in my mind. The NA blew the XS away. Take it from a guy who has owned both products!
  6. As a recent user of both the XS400 and the XS800 I have to agree with Quadzilla's comments 100%. IMHO there is no comparison between the Nemesis line and anything in Yorkville's bass amp line, including the new Traynor stuff. The Nemesis stuff is Eden all the way, just a few less bells and whistles. If only Yorkville would out source the design of their bass pre amps they could find out what their amps are lacking, they have such a great reliability track record, they just need to address the tone issue. I have been using an Eden Time Traveler and it is superior in tone, punch and clarity to anything I have heard from Yorkville including the XS800. On the other hand many bassists swear by Yorkville stuff so let your ears be the judge.

7. steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Thanks to all who have responded thus far! Good tones are what I'm after as the primary factor in getting a new head; I don't realistically see the need for more than 400w any time in the distant future, so upgrading to the XS800 isn't really an option. I've only heard the Nemesis live, and reeeealllly liked the sound. No Yorkville dealers nearby, so I'm counting on the TBers to pipe in. Quadzilla, it looks like I discovered the classifieds about a week too late!