1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nemesis NA600 or bxr400 or New behringer or ashton (gulp)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matatak6, Apr 16, 2009.

1. matatak6

matatak6

Apr 16, 2009
    hi , all
    my first post. im new to bass and need an amp.
    probably stupid question,
    but,

do i get an old amp eg, nemesis NA600 plus 2 x15s or fender bxr 400 with 2x 15s ? both are the same price.

im jammin with guitar valve amps 50/100 watts and just want a good solid reliable bass amp that will be adequate for small gigs, rehearsals. i think both of these amps are pretty good value for $800 aus. or i can go the new cheap brands like behringer and ashton. ? i dont actually mind what brand it is( i use an ashton valve 50 and a laney AOR100 for guitbox)im just concerned about reliability and overall sound.

do i trust a 12 year old amp as much as a new cheapo? and is the sound comparable.

also can get acoustic 320 head with 4 x12 acoustic cab for less dosh.

thanks in advance for any replies....

2. I just finished working on a BXR 400 for a guy. Like a lot of the older BXRs the pots were in bad need of spray cleaning. Otherwise, it's a solid performer. Lots of power whether used in Bi-Amp or 'Stereo' mode. Lots of other bells and whistles if you wish to use them. As long as you found it to be in good working condition, I'd trust it.
    I have owned the NA320 Watt Eden combo with 4-10s. Can't say a bad thing about it. The 600 Watt version is rather similar but not having played or tested it can't comment further other than to say they're made well and are fairly reliable.
    Behringer - lots of people don't like 'em. I've got a 300 Watt head and it will put out 350 Watts into 4 Ohms all day long - I've tested and proven that! Can't say a bad thing about it.
    For comparison sake, the BXR is the heaviest of the bunch.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *2nd opinion bump*

4. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    I have a Nemesis NA650, it's lived in my 2 space Gator rack back and bee dragged from jam session to jam session for 2 years now with no issues. It's a bit heavy, but it sounds good, has good tonal capabilities - good eq, and has gobs of power!

I've never had any Behringer gear before but I've head it's ok, but it looks a bit flimsy when compared to other stuff.

I dunno anything about the BXR.

But, from my experience, ya get what ya pay for. Cheapie is cheap up front but will it last?

Heck, if ya get it narrowed down to 2 you like and can't decide...get the lighter one!

5. jowens004

jowens004

Jul 25, 2009
    Windermere, FL
    I had a BXR once. It was a great sounding amp. Then it started making crackling noises and some of the buttons stopped working. But it was great when it was working.