Nemesis NA650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Anybody seen or played one of these yet? Looks attractive, 650 watts @ 2ohms for under $700... I know they are pretty new. If nobody has tried one yet, I assume it has basically the same pre-amp as other Nemesis products, though I've never heard others before wither. Can anybody decribe the tone (bright, warm, very solid state, tubish, sounds like another head, etc?). Thanks!

Link to the Nemesis NA650

2. Quadzilla

I could not find the wattage at 8 and 4 ohms listed on any site but found it in the owners manula I downloaded. It's 275 watts @ 8 ohms, 440 watts @ 4 ohms and 650 watts @ 2 ohms, all RMS (not peak). They also say "+3 DB of headroom whatever that means (prob another way of stating peak wattage). Interesting. I may roll the dice on one depending on feedback from Nemesis and Eden users here. I like the description on the "Edge" knob. They basically say that it's for vintage tube/grit/grind sound and that's right up my alley...
  3. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've played through that head at the store a few times, it has a really nice sound. very punchy, with that classic eden warmth. It sounded really good with the nemesis 4x10 cab.

The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that they market it as the NA650, and only advertise the power at 2 ohms, when the NA320 is advertised 320 at 4 ohms. It just makes it confusing when comparing the 2, since the NA650 only puts out around 100 more watts at 4 ohms. It makes it hard to compare apples to apples.
  4. Quadzilla

No offense, but you must have played a different model (the NA320 maybe) as I just found out directly from Eden that these are not out yet and won't be until mid-to-late Oct. I'm going to try to wait until they come out and get one of these vs another head which will be a lot of self control because I just sold my other head and will have cash in hand in a day or two... Arrrggggg! :eek:

They also state that the 650 has some options over and above the 320.
    From Eden's Site:
    "This unit has all the features of our NA320, plus edge, gain boost, selectable DI pre/post, front panel DI level control, as well as a smooth solid FET sound with plenty of power to drive multiple cabinets."
  5. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    quad nemesis had a 650 head about a year or two ago that was only out very briefly, probably an oops in marketing for a product that was supposed to be released later. Maybe the unit at the store was one of the older ones.
  6. I believe that Vision played out of the smaller of the two heads at LDS. They look very much the same. I agree with his comments on the sound... very impressive for the price. I also VERY MUCH agree with his comments regarding the maximum 4ohm vs. maximum 2ohm power.... to me, it's a cheap way of making the higher cost head seem 'significantly more powerful'. I understand about the 650 having more options, but why not just be honest about it and call it the 450, or whatever the 4ohm power is (since the vast majority of players will never take a head down to 2ohms IMO). Not a big deal.. but it just seems a tad dishonest.
  7. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yep ken, you're right, it must have been the na320 that i played through at LDS, sorry for the confusion...

and i do think that the name is a bit dishonest. not only do they not call it the na450, but they don't even advertise the wattage at 4 or 8 ohms on the website. (it's cool that its in the manual, but info like that should be there on the site so you can compare apples to apples when looking at different models.)

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    3 dB headroom means that the amp's peak power will be twice whatever the max RMS rating is.

In this case, 650Wrms x 2 = 1300W peak.