Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nemesis nc-210 vs nc-410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by resol, Apr 25, 2005.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    :eyebrow: i'm quite puzzled by the specs of the nemesis combos:

NC-210: 35hz - 18khz ±2dB

NC-410: 48Hz - 18Khz ±2dB

the 2x10 has less surface area, yet goes down lower than the 4x10 :confused:

so it ends up SOUNDING deeper?

2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
  3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have not idea why this would be. However, I have never heard that more surface area meant more low end. I had always heard more surface area meant more volume.

4. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i'm not familliar with the mentioned cabs, but frequency response has more to do with cab design than the drivers involved. for instance eden's 210 xlt goes deeper than a 410 xlt, and they both go deeper than eden's 18 cab. just look at bose. they use tiny speakers to get a huge sound. the trade off is efficiency or cabinet size. it may be that to make the 410 with the same response as the 210 would have required a cab that was deemed too big or too heavy (although it was acceptable for the 210 because it was half scale) or it could be that the 410 was more efficient in the midrange so it just has more mids not less lows. it's probably a combination of the two, or maby it's just a typo because that seems like a very big difference.

5. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I think it may be due to a compromise to keep the 410 small. The cabinet volume appears to be less than twice the 210's. For what it's worth, I've had an NC210 for about 5 years, and I think it's a great small amp. It's not as deep sounding as the 38Hz cuttoff frequency implies, but it's still a great sounding amp. I've played a lot of small clubs with it. I used to use a 115 with if for larger rooms, and it did quite well.

- John

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have the 4x10 cab. For years the website said it was -3dB at 38Hz and the whole time I thought that this spec was total BS. It seems someone has finally noticed the typo and they're now claiming 48Hz. It's still BS, but it's closer to the mark.

I suspect a similar thing has happened to the 2x10. I've heard them both in action and the 4x10 is definitely deeper. It's actually a very good cab the 410.

7. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I just double checked Eden's website, and unless the new model is significantly better, I just don't believe that it's good down to 35Hz, -2dB. The only thing I can think of is that I'm used to hearing a bump in low bass response with other amps that my ears tell me is flat. Also, it can be pretty difficult to separate low end response with volume. The speaker that's a little louder is often perceived as being deeper. On the other hand, no one would mistake an Acme as not being deep just because it is very inefficient.

Regardless of the specs, I think you'd be more satisfied with the sound of the 410. I like the practicality of the 210. It's my main rehearsal amp, and it easly handles small / low volume club gigs, but it has its limits. The 410 will be suitable for a broader range of gigs. It all depends on what you want it for.

8. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    thanx for the assistance guys - i think i got my hopes up with those specs... : )