Nemesis NC-212P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by midnight, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Hello All,

I posted a request for suggestions for combo amps re the SWR Workingmans 15, GK 400RB or Nemesis NC-212P which received little response. I suppose people are growing weary of answering such questions. I decided on the Nemesis and thought I would wait until I recieved it and tested it before posting anything. It was waiting for me at home yesterday and I took it to practice with me. After two hours of solid playing, I thought I would give my first impressions of it.

I practice at a medium sized chuch and had the opportunity to play the Nemesis right beside the usual workhorse: A SWR Super Redhead. I switched combos several times and tried to pay careful attention to the details of each and here's what I found:

The NC-212P is a bit wider than SWR, by an inch or so and is about the same amount taller. It looks much more bulky though, as it's basically just a big cube, where the SWR has angles to it. The SWR has castors, which the Nemesis needs. The controls and inputs are on the front of SWR, and Nemesis has these features on the top towards the rear. No big issue there, just something to get used to.

The SWR is rated at 350 Watts, but this is only recommended with an extension cab. I rarely play the Redhead above half-way on gain and master due to some distortion that creaps in. It is obviously clear that this distortion only occurs due to a limitation on speakers (2 - 10"). But, at half-volume, the SWR SCREAMS. Very loud and defined, allowing me to confidently play. The construction is very good, and it's holding up well, especially with front cover that latches in place to protect unit.

The Nemesis is rated at 200 Watts RMS, and it appears the speakers can handle every watt. I ran the combo at half gain / master and cut through a loud drummer pretty well. For the majority of practice I was just fingering and I was happy with the punch I was receiving. One song had heavy slapping and popping, which I had to turn up the volume for due to losing a little of the sound. I believe I was up around 7/10 and was coming through VERY well. No distortion in the least and I got no odd or disturbing sounds which usually occur at the upper end of amplification. I feel I could run this amp probably at 9/10 and not feel I was stretching the amps abilities.

I received a bit more high-end clarity with SWR, which was bad sometimes as fret noise was a bit more pronounced. I believe the low-end response was better with Nemesis, with mids being very comparable between the two. The Nemesis has a big honkin' heatsink to dissipate heat, where the SWR has a fan that comes on upon demand. The noise of fan has never bothered me, though. The Nemesis has a compressor built in that does a decent job, which the SWR lacks. I played with the Panaramic (SP) EQ on Nemesis but didn't get any impressive sound with minimal tweaking, so I disabled it. I've heard this EQ is useful though, so I'll play with it more later. Both have an enhance that I have never really optimized.

I think the SWR is a bit superiour to Nemesis, especially with an extension cab hooked up to really take advantage of the wattage it can put out. The Nemesis does have an extension speaker out jack, which I might use someday. You are lucky to find a Super Redhead for $1300, though. I got my Nemesis for $650, final price, from Good company, it seems. No financial interest, blah blah. I talked with them on the fone for a bit and asked how much better the 212 was over the 210. They said they both have the same electronics, but 212 sounds about 25% louder. I should've asked how the 212 sounds next to a 410. I knew I didn't want to lug around a 410... the 212 is bad enough! Oh, it is nice that Nemesis has both a top strap and side dishes for carrying. Using the side dishes, I can hawl this guy around fairly easily.

One pet-peeve of Nemesis is it's protective grille. Very weak metal that bends and creases with minimal contact. I have a feeling the grill is going to have a very beat-up appearance in a short amount of time!

Sorry for the long post, but I want to give a fairly thorough review, since I've seen very little here on the 212. 2 12"s aren't just for guitars anymore!
  2. BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    hello midnite...

I had a N-210 combo about 1 year ago.....I presently
    no longer have it due to manufacture's design problems.
    A SWR is a great choice...all of their gear is great in
    sound and reliability...also there is ampeg (B-115 or
    B100R)....take your time in getting the right amp that has
    your sound that you like.

keep playing...peace BJ
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thanks for a very informative review. This will be great as a reference for others interested in the Nemesis combos.

I liked the 212 combo, too.
  4. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have the nemesis 210 combo and do not forsee ever getting rid of it. It weighs in at 45 lbs, that is close to amazing considering the 210xlt weighs 68 lbs and doesn't have an amp on it. On the nemesis they cut corners where they could. The cover on the strap on the top was torn within a month, but still works just fine and feels sturdy (the cover is rubber and the inside is metal). The corners are plastic but are still holding up just fine. I haven't had any problems with the grill, but I immediately bought the nemesis cover for like $20 and always have it on it. It is a great amp. The DI is super clean for big gigs and the stage volume is fine for everything besides loud metal and hard rock. I will keep it for a back up forever, and try-outs for bands. Sound wise it is great, especially for the money. I also turn off the parametric eq, because I am not a tweeker. I get all the tone out of the Bass, Middle, Treble buttons and the the "Enhance" knobs. I would recomend this amp to anybody who isn't stadium gigging.
    cameron dye