1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nemesis or Genz-Benz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Apr 9, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im stuck..ish.
    Im looking for that deep low end that you can get out of an ampeg rig, and I have (basically) two choices.
    Theres a Nemesis 210 combo on the 'bay for 300
    ooorrr
    A Genz-Benz ML-200 115 (also on ebay) for 395.

The third option is that I wait for something else to come along.

Based on the kind of tone Im looking for, what do you think I should do? Rudy's has a Genz-Benz 110 cab for 200, but finding a good amp for ~200 is hard, so iiii dont know what to do. help?

2. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Bump for a reply? This is an important decision!

3. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Go for the Nemisis, but first look at the David Eden website and find the exact specs of that nemisis cab to see if it is going to give you the frequency response you are looking for.

Side question, how much are you looking at spending, because if you can afford it is to go for the David Eden Metro 2X10 combo of the CXC120

If the above 2 are not options go for the nemisis, thats just my preference for David Eden equipment coming through. You must of course decide wich you like better by trying them out.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    One could argue that Eden specs are wildly optimistic (and unreferenced) as regards sensitivity/efficency and frequency response, and Genz Benz specs are pretty conservative by bass-cab industry standards. You'd do better to get some experience with the cabs and drivers yourself, or get the T-S specs of the actual woofers if you want to get comparisons that have some basis in reality.

I am not saying that one brands' combos or cabs are better or worse than the others' - I am saying that specsmanship rolls out of some marketing departments like a cotton candy machine that's been left running ; }

5. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    How do you read the specs? I was under the impression that frequency responses meant little in terms of the overall sound of the amp.
    BTW, this is my first time really venturing into amp/cabs. Before this I just went to a store and bought whatever combo sounded nicest.

I really can't get my hands on either of these combos before purchase. The best I could do was try out a Genz-Benz cab. I know one store by me stocks Eden combos, but is that really going to tell me anything about an old (10 years?) Nemesis combo? I could also try out some Genz-Benz heads, but theyre all going to be much higher end models than the ML-200.
    Im not going to nit pick about the specifics of the sonic qualities.. I jsut want a generally warm sound and fat bottom end. None of that SWR stuff.

6. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    P.S. I really want to spend less than 600. My dad said he wants to chip down some money (which is ironic because my mom HATES it when I have things... nevermind when people give me money to get things).. so that's my dad's contribution (~300?) + my contribution (~300) + whatever I can get for an amp I have for sale (Mods: I dont mean to plug anything!).

so... less than 600...preferably something used, I guess.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Well to give a very basic breakdown of frequency response.

The human ear can hear from 20Hz to 20KHz (although the higher ranges become less audiable as we get older; you hear best at age 10)

So the closer the cab can get to 20Hz the "lower" it can go in providing more of the "low end" you are looking for.

If you are spending $600 then definitely consider the Fender Bassman 250 / 210. I think it retails around your $600 mark new. Definitely a very decent combo/amp that you can do small gigs with too.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why do you want to upgrade? Its nice and all to have nice gear, but its advisable to save until you need it so that you can get something even better.

9. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Right now all I have is a Fender Bassman 60 that A. Weighs a ton and B. Craps out when the volume goes past 5. This year Im going to be having a bunch of gigs with my band, and next year Im going to be a poor college kid (hopefully with more band gigs). I figure this is the time for upgrades, if there ever was one (esp since my dad says he wants to help me out).
    Besides that, I convinced my parents I needed a bigger amp for a relatively big show I was doing, but I really couldn't afford it once I got it, so I returned it. If I dont get a new amp now, theres likely to be some questioning as to the validity of my previous need for a new amp.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The Nemesis sounds great. It's loud. It's deep. It projects. It's lightweight and reliable. Gigged with one for five years and it never let me down. Lots of EQ ability. Great product.

11. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    To help you decide... Just wanted to add that a 4 string goes as low as 40hz so depending on what you play any amp that goes that low will be fine. Also, my personal view is that lows much below that just sound boomy and I would rather do without them.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I used to practice with the Genz Benz- it sounds completely awesome! However, if you have $600 to spend, you may want to look into an Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com) cab with maybe an Ashdown head. Thats a killer beginning rig! Look used locally too.

13. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Before you totally diss SWR, a few online retailers are bombing out the 12 Packs for $320 including shipping. No tweeter. Just great low end punch and warmth. And it's top of the line -- no semi-pro.

14. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    You are probably not gonna get THAT much low end from a 2x10 or 1x15 and definitely not from a 110 by itself. I don't want to stear you away from your choice, but have you looked into the Nemesis 2x12 300W combo? I played through one at a gig last November and it put out some fat lows!