Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nemesis question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Feb 18, 2002.

1. I have a Nemesis 410 and am moving to a rack system over the next few weeks.

Eden didn't answer my question (and they don't have amp schematics anywhere I can find them) so I'll ask it here -

Does anyone know if I can flip the "speaker off" switch on the back of the amp and drive the speakers with an external power amp plugged in through the speaker extension jack?

Has anyone tried this?

thanks -

allan

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    mmmmmm ... bad idea, I think. I doubt that turning the "speaker off" switch off changes the output of the extension jack. You're either going to have no signal there, or a speaker level signal that'd be WAY to hot to put into the front end of a power amp.

Does the amp have a "pre-amp out" or DI out on the back? That'd be the one to plug into the power amp.

3. Good point, munji -

The amp has an effects loop and DI (no preamp loop) - but what I'm trying to do is drive the speakers in the Nemesis cabinet with something a little more robust while I go cabinet shopping.

I just bought a used Ampeg preamp and a 1000W Peavey power amp - I'm looking to drive this little Nemesis cab (not at full throttle!) until I can find a 4 ohm D-210XLT and a decent 4 ohm 1x15" cabinet - the only folks I can find who make a 4 ohm 15" are Peavey and Carvin.

I figured the speaker off switch would disconnect the speakers from the power amp - but I forgot the extension jack would still be connected to same.

The 410 combo amp uses the same drivers as the 210, 410 and 810 cabinets. The 810 is rated at 600W, the 410 at 450W and the 210 at 225W. There's not much doubt the cabinet can handle a little more juice than it comes from the factory with.

Oh, well - I may have to do a bit of soldering. I can reverse the polarity of the speaker out jack (it's a series connection - I think Eden does that to keep folks from putting a 2 ohm load across the amp) and put a switch on the power amp output.

Thanks for the bump, munji - you started me thinking. This is doable but not without opening up the speaker box.

allan

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is no way to accomplish what you want to accomplish without modifying the amp. You could install a passive speaker jack in the back of the combo if you wanted. It would be pretty easy.

The speaker off switch simply allows you to turn off the speakers in the combo so you can use the power amp in the combo to drive a different cabinet. If you plugged into the speaker extension jack with another power amp, you'd probably blow up the combo and the amp you plugged into it.

5. Chasarms said...

There is no way to accomplish what you want to accomplish without modifying the amp. You could install a passive speaker jack in the back of the combo if you wanted. It would be pretty easy.

Yep - I think I'll end up rewiring the speaker off switch so it breaks the connection to the internal amp instead of to the internal speakers.

thanks, all -

allan