Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis w/15 Want to Add Extension 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greatcrimson, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    I have a Nemesis NC-115 combo and I'm considering adding a 2x10 extension cabinet to get a fuller sound with better highs. A local store has a number of used cabinets that I am considering. The Eden 210T & 210XLT, an Aguilar GS210, and a Genz Benz LS210T. They also have a Trace an EA and an Ampeg 2x10 but I'm not sure of models. Has anyone paired this Nemesis with any of these cabinets?

Also, since Eden connects the Nemesis speakers in series, I'm a little unclear about wheather to go 4 or 8 ohms on the extention cab. Any suggestions on this are are welcomed also.

2. I used to own a Nemesis 410C. The series external speaker connection makes it a little tricky. I would try to add a cabinet with as low of an impedence as possible. If you add a 4 ohm cab, you will have an 8 ohm load, so the amp will provide less power.

IMO, adding an extension cabinet did not have a major impact on the volume output. I used a 350W 210 SWR with mine once, and the results were not that great. Maybe a slight improvement, but I went from driving 200W into 450W of speakers, to driving about 160W (from what Eden told me) into 800W of speakers.

Geoff

3. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    Thanks Geoff, Yeah that's what I'm worried about. If I spend the money for a good external cab and it makes my sound worse I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Really what I was thinking about the external cab is that it would be one step towards an upgrade of the the entire rig down the road. When I can afford it I'll take the jump to a new amp and have a good cabinet already.

What's with Eden (now Washburn I guess) and their series connection? It doesn't seem to make sense.

4. These combos were designed to run with the amplifier at max power, ie lowest impedence speaker that the amp can handle.

Then, I would guess, they decided that they should add an extension speaker output. Why? I am not too sure. Since the amp was already running at the lowest impedence it could, they would have had to put the jack in in series.

Geoff