1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEO B212 w/ GK 700RB-II . . . future stacking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike biz, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I'm considering the following setup, but I'm a reall rookie so I could use as much help as one can give.

I'd like to run a GK 700RB-II through an Avatar NEO B212 or B210, but I've read that there is an issue with stacking non-GK cabs with this head. Something about bi-amping. Is this correct? I'm not sure what, if any, cabs I would add in the future, but I want to have some flexibility. Maybe a NEO 410 or 210 at some point down the road.

And if I do decide to stack at some point I assume that getting an 8 ohm B212 is the way to go right now.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

2. i'm not sure about the biamping problems but from what i understand that head sends a 50w high frequency signal to the GK cabs which they call biamping. the head is stable to 4 ohms so you would be correct in grabbing the 8 ohm cab if you wanted to keep your options open for additional cabs in the future.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You can use the avatar cabs. You just can't use the biamp feature on the GK. Make sure and use a different speakon cable than the one that comes with the GK.

4. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
  5. manjonning

manjonning

May 18, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Quite a bit less I believe ! I was looking into the same thing... But with the 1001RB II ... I have a 412 ampeg cab at the moment that's fricken killing me to transport!

If you grab these let me know what you think ..

6. The GK NEO 212 lists for $600. The Avatar NEO B212 is $319 in black carpet or if you want the tougher colored Tolex covering add $49. Still major savings. And you get to deal with the owner of the company. 100% American made if that's important to you as well.

check the avatar site for more cool stuff
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

7. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    that not good to here i live in uk! need to find a cheaper alternative to the gk cab as i cant afford a gk neo 212 for my 700rb-II that ill be getting soon!

8. iScott

iScott

Jun 13, 2007
    Decatur, GA
    With this setup, you'll be fine just as long as you don't use SpeakOn cables. Stick with some high quality 1/4" speaker cables.
    I speak from experience.

9. 1/4 gotcha!

I've got a bass cable coming from Butch at Bayou. Should I order a speaker cable or two from him as well?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You can use speakons, just no the GK supplied one.

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I believe you can purchase Avatar through their Canadian distributor (SteamCoMusic) http://www.steamcomusic.com/

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    What?

That's the opposite of all conventional wisdom regarding Speakons on this forum. Speakon cables are the standard for high-wattage situations, and for the vast majority of bass cabs.

What sort of weird experience did you have? :meh:

13. iScott

iScott

Jun 13, 2007
    Decatur, GA
  14. guys its not the end of the world what cable he uses as long as he doesnt use the GK speakon with the avatar cab...

ill actually EXPLAIN this to the poster... but the speakon that comes with the GK is specially designed for the biamping feature gallien krueger heads and cabs are capable. It does not work the same way as a standard speakon.. but a REGULAR old speakon cable WILL work going from your GK head to your avatar cab.

hes not drilling out 1500 watts... a 1/4 will work fine

15. I use the same combination and it's killer; best amp/cab move I ever made--and we're talking some forty years of gigging.

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  17. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I have the GK 1001rb which has the same controls as the 700II and you CAN use the GK supplied cable. I have used it many times with an Ampeg SVT610,and an Avatar neo B212. Cheesewiz is wrong. It is a 4 conductor cable and it will send a full range signal to your Avatar. You just won't be able to use the 50 watt tweeter amp on a standard cab. Keep the cable because you might even buy a GK cab later. Plus that cable (if you have one) is of very good quality. Mine came with 2 SBX GK cabs.

18. Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm definitely going with the Avatar B212. I'll make sure to get a new non-GK speakon. Any suggestions on which brand to use?

19. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I stand corrected by me!! I just went down to my basement and hooked up my GK to my Avatar 212, and it worked but it distorted. So I hooked up the Gk to my Ampeg 610 and it didn't distort! It worked fine. Then I hooked my Markbass Sa450 to the avatar with the GK 4 conductor cable and it sounded fine too! All this pissed my family off but I just had to know. I don't think I used that cable with the Avatar becaues it is new I apparently was mistaken. This still doesn't explain why it worked with the other amp/ speaker combinations. I'm confused! Just buy a regular cable for it. Buy the way, My Gk 1001RB sounds great with my Avatar B212.