Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neo Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pickslide, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Pickslide

Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Have these passed the acid test, or is the jury still out on them? Eden doesn't use them at all; some manufacturers offer both Neo & traditional magnets for their speakers. I understand that the Neo's are quite a bit lighter, but for example the Eden 410XLT with non-Neo's weighs in at 98 pounds. The Epifini UL-410 with Neo's weighs 57 pounds. The Avatar B410 Neo is 65 pounds, their 410 Kappa Pro is 95 pounds.

Is there a tone advantage to one or the other, or is the weight of the magnet, hence the cab weight, the main factor why a lot of makers are switching/adding the Neo as their main? I also recall reading someplace that Neo's tend to not last as long as ceramic, but that might have just been advertising from one of the companies that only use the ceramic magnets.

2. They have totally 'passed the acid test' IMO. I've been using my 410UL non-stop for the last two years (I purchased one of the first ones) and it's FANTASTIC... if... you like a very tight low end and very defined upper mids... super articulation. They DO sound different than the same cab in 'regular'. I like them MUCH better than the 'non-neo version(and the weight is just amazing)... however, some others think they sound a little too 'nasally' and lack the big low end.

The EA Neo cabs sound great, as do the Accugrooves, and the Epi's are amazing. The Schroeder Neo's are beginning to ship this week and I have high hopes for them also.

However, if you are a rock and roll guy that wants huge, extended low end and grind, they might not be for you IMO.

If you get a chance to read the Epi410UL review in Bass Player Magazine a couple of years ago, that review nails the sound of that cab IMO.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Yes, to my knowledge, the weight advantage is what is driving the spread of these neo speakers. I have a neo as one of the woofers in my Whappo, Jr., and I love the cabinet. So far, no reliability or any other kind of issues. I understand they do sound different from traditional speakers, so certainly if I were auditioning a cabinet which came in both flavors, I would want to hear both.

There was a rumor about them not liking extended playing, but I've played outside gigs in summer heat for extended periods of time with no noticeable problem, plus innumerable four setters with a loud rock band.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I have an EA nl-210 with neo's Very light to transport and sounds great

Rob

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I'll never purchase a non neo cab again. I like the sound of neos.
    Everyone will switch to neo when the cost of shipping matches the price of a regular magnet speaker.

6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I use a Avatar 410 NEO with an iAMP 800 now. The cab sounds great to my ears.

I found that it handles lows even better than I expected when I added a POG to my chain.

Can't beat the price. I'm going to add an Avatar 112 NEO to it next, just for kicks.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I purchased a Benz-Benz NeoX 212T to replace a 410 XB because it was just too big and hevey for my old bones to move around anymore. I'm glad I did because I love the deep, warm, full, rich, and lush tone of the double 12's.

8. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'd have to say my G-B Neox 212 has outstanding tone, and killer low end. I'm not buying the lack of lows rap. I'd buy it again tomorrow.

Billy-Bob

9. +1 I hear it as more 'different low end' than a lack of low end. I actually like the tighter low end better on the gig.

10. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'd say that was the post I should have thought of. "Tighter lows" is a very good description:)

Billy-Bob

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Eden willhave their NEO cabs out this summer. Keep an eye out.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, that's one thing that'll help saturation of the market. But it'll also take more Neo choices, and ones that can perform the same as, or better than, their conventional counterparts, and replace drivers of all types. Ferinstance, tonally, most of the Neo choices out there right now are way shy on true low end, and some of us want that TOO.

13. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Have you tried most of the neo speakers available?

I have to roll off the lows on my BRX12 neo. I want low end TOO & am currently getting it w/my neo cab. I think Carvin hid an 18" up in there somewhere.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I like true low end, as opposed to midbass humps, which usually ends up sounding boomy and does need to be rolled off. Part of my preference is that around here there isn't often PA support, and I sometimes drop to A on Fives and Sixes with a Hipshot. Part of it is just tonal preference.

I've heard the currently sold Eminences and the stock ten is the only one that I think performs nearly as well as could be expected. The Deltalite II and Kapplites seems like they'll be a big improvement and offer some diversity. I've also heard some of the B&Cs. The lighter ones are limited in applications and tonal appraoch, and some of their other Neos are pretty heavy.

I haven't heard the BMS stuff yet but they are looking good for many applications and very light for their incredible power handling and response. One of these days I'll probably end up using some for custom bass rig, subwoofer, and mains applications.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    And no, Carvin doesn't have a Neo 18 : }

16. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Correct, but my BRX12 sounds like there's an 18" in the cab. I'm rolling off lows @ 30hz, not mid bass. I like my EQ as flat as possible.

17. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Like KJung, I have one of the first Epi 410UL's out too, maybe I got the one just before Ken got his :p . No problem getting low end, and we get loud. Although, there are some bassists who prefer the NYC spkr's. There is a tonal voicing difference, it's more of a personal preferrence. To me, that difference is not enough to want to carry the extra weight after experiencing the neo cab.