Neo Driver for GS 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Is it worth it? Has anyone tried it? And if so, what is the best one/ how would I go about finding the best speaker for this type of cab?
    The reduced weight would be great.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you could do it, but i'm thinking you'd probably mess w/ the tuned aspect of the cab, in other words, it might sound like pure muddy crap.

best to buy a cab made from the ground up w/ a neo driver at its core. either epifani for the big bucks, or avatar neo for the little bucks.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  4. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    As mentioned, you could mess up the tuning, if in fact the cabinet was tuned to the current speaker. You never know with bass gear.
    Some people just swap out speakers and love the new sound they get.

You could try one of these:

If it doesn't sound good at first, just play with stuffing in more acoustic damping in the cabinet and possible port. And tweaking your tone knobs.
  5. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    I agree that it's possible that you could put a random speaker in the GS 112 and like the results. However, it has a stronger possibility of sounding bad. The cabinet was designed around the speaker, then several iterations of both speaker and cabinet evolved into the final design. So changing the speaker will make it something completely diffferent. Stuffing additional damping material in the cabinet and port will certainly make it sound lousy (IMHO).