1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neo-Pak 3.5 or Shuttle 3.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by no-logic, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I want to pick up one of these little guys and have played the Neo-Pak but not the Shuttle. I liked the Neo-Pak tone but it could have used a little more bite. Not quite as agressive as I would have liked. Has anyone compared these two? Does the Shuttle 3.0 have a touch more bite being entirely solid state?

2. Anyone???

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I chose the Neo Pak over the Shuttle. Not only did I like the way it sounds when compared to the 3.0, but was able to send it in for a free mod that allows 2 ohm operation. Now, when running two 4 ohm cabs, I get 500 watts output. Genz Benz does this upgrade for free and had my Neo Pak back to me in less then two weeks.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Haven't played a 3.0 but a Neopak runs 2 ohms and is just awesome sounding. Mine is a great practice head and I love how portable it is for auditions and all that.

I liked the Neopak ever so slightly better than the 6.0. Not sure why, maybe the power amp differences.

I would suggest a pedal for bite and a neopak, since the tubeish tone the neopak does by itself is great.

5. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I have played 3.0, 6.0 and Max 12 shuttles, as well as the Neo-Pak 3.5 prior to the shuttle introduction. Let me just sum it up that my gig rig is a Max 12 with Uber 212, but I just bought a Neo-Pak 3.5 as my studio/rehearsal/back-up. I love the sound of the neo even better than the 3.0. You can eq any 'bite' you want by taking a few minutes and seeing how the Genz eq operates, and have a much more versatile amp with 500 watt capabilities. The only down side is that the neo-pak3.5 wont fit in the pocket of your gig bag.