1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neo-Pak: Minor issue-Should I pack it up/send it for repair...or "chill"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by realdeal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I've had a Neo-Pak for about 6-7 months now with no issues, performs flawlessly, sounds killer, etc. etc.

Yesterday, I used it for the main purpose I originally bought the head for- an easy to transport, great-sounding head to be used at rehearsal studios where the backline was not to my liking. Had it set up to use with a 'fridge cab yesterday...
    For the record, it has far exceeded that use, and I've used the Neo for a number of rooms too.

To my horror, I had no output whatsoever yesterday.
    After exploring the cables, speaker cab, etc. we found the issue...
    There was no output without the HF boost in!
    Normally, I would not use that particular eq button; I may scoop the mids, but rarely boost the highs.

At any rate, I did get the amp to function; there was/is a bad connection of some sort behind that button.
    And though it "acted up" a bit during the session, overall the amp then worked as normal, with the high boost on or off.
    Sometimes, there was a cut-out simply by touching the button, but for the most the problem disappeared.

Now I know that I could send the head in, no problem there-
    I'm hoping that the Genz-Benz guys here might advise me as to whether this kind of minor issue is self-correcting, as it seemed to do, or whether it would be best to pack it up and have it inspected and the components involved repaired or replaced.

It's working now, but I would hate to see it become permanent or happen during performance.

Any comments?

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    You should call (480) 941-0705 and ask for Scott. Sounds like they'll want you to send it in. If you prefer, go to the website and go through the support email link. Either way, tell them you're a TB'er.

3. You have a bad switch. It may clear itself or it may cause you problems at the most important gig you ever play! Don't risk it - get it fixed.

Paul

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give Scott or Chris a call and send it in, could very well be a defective switch. That's why you have a warranty and we want you to be 100% happy with the amp. Be sure to get an RMA number. Repair turnaround is pretty quick, there aren't many to do.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    So who is your Maytag guy? Does he have a dog?

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Scott's the guy in charge of the service department, sometimes he thinks he IS the dog ;)

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

:)

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hmm.. Same problem our Genz-Benz ML200/115 at church has. And to think, I though they were over this problem. -1 for Genz.

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It's a mechanical part, just like a pot. They are bound to go bad on occasion regardless of quality. Not sure there's is anything to be "over" here.

10. Send it to G-B...if you haven't already recieved the 500 watt/2 ohm upgrade,they will probably do while it is there.

11. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Hey, thanks all for chirping in.

I guess I'll call Genz and get an R/A, as well as have the 2-ohm conversion done. Hate to send it away, but it'll be back!

I agree it's not a major or recurring issue- As a matter of fact, I think the problem may not even recur, but best to be sure- Also- some "scratchy" pots behind the tube gain/volume knobs-Anybody else have this happen?

Nothing negative to say about the Neo (or Genz-Benz). I prefer the footprint and tube pre of the Neo as opposed to the Shuttle 3.0. This head sat on top of an 'Fridge without being overwhelmed in size, and even with it's "measly" 350-watt output, drove that cabinet just fine...as it does with my own 4-ohm Wizzy M-Line 12.
    What a rig that is, lemme tell 'ya!!

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    True. However, it seems to be something that will happen with those switches down the road. It can make your amplifier unusable.

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Two issues out of hundreds of products, and it seems to be something that will happen down the road? Are you serious?