Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neo Speakers give me the skinny

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 14, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have a friend who is thinking of downsizing his rig, well kind of he's actually thinking of getting a bigger rig with more power but a lot less weight. So he's seriously concidering Neo's but neither me or him have come across any or have any idea of how they sound. Also we only seem to be able to find a limited amount of companies that make them, the lightest and best quality seems to be EBS from our point of view.

So here are my questions:

What companies other than GK, EA, and EBS use neo's?

Whats the general feeling about neo's compared to regular speakers?

Who currently using them and in what band situation?

How efficient do these cabs tend to be?

Thanks for the info guys, and maybe one day i'll be swayed by neo's and move away from the tiny but super heavy ashdown mini cabs.

Cheers

2. I bought one EBS NEO-112 cab about a year ago and I have been extremely happy with it. So happy actually, that I bought another just earlier this week. Would you like to see them? You would? Well here they are ;) :
    [​IMG]
    My main bands are a 8-piece party cover band and a hard rock trio. Both bands are pretty loud, but the lone NEO cab held it´s own surprisingly well on the 20+ gigs I´ve used it over the year. On most gigs we have full PA support, so the bass rig only acts as my personal monitor - no problems there. But every now and then we do smaller gigs where the PA is for vocals only and the rest is handled by the backline. On few of those the one NEO wasn´t quite enough. It did cut through, but the bottom wasn´t there, so I decided to get another NEO. I´ve only played with the two cab setup on one rehearsal, but I can safely say it´s a winner. I can´t wait to use this rig on a gig!

I stongly recommend you to check EBS NEOs out. With proper wattage (I´ve got 250W per cab) they can kick some serious butt. And the tone... YMMV of course, but personally I really can´t imagine a better sound. I mean, I feel deep and profound joy inside me everytime I plug my bass in. The new 2x12 and 2x10 NEOs look very interesting too.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    WOW that is one seriously nice rig, looks big from that angle how high does it stand.

I was thinking that a 1x10 and a 1x12 would be better as you would then have 3 rigs in one.

Any other thoughts guys

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Avatar makes some NEO offerings, but honestly I can't imagine that they would compare with EBS, GK, etc. etc.

5. These guys do a few neos.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Btw - Tayste's friend is me, and im thinking off :)

Pedal Pre (Ebs microbass II)

into

QSC RMV 1450b

into

2 EBS Neo 112

7. Yeah, I purposefully shot it from low angle to make it look more menacing ;) Here´s another pic with my bass:

[​IMG]

It stands about 1 meter (3 feet, right?) high - just enough for me to lean on it with a smug smile on my face, looking ever-so-confident:"Yeah, it´s my rig..." :smug:

I actually fooled around yesterday at practice and stacked the cabs on their sides to get the tweeter higher. Sounded good that way too, although it did look a bit intimidating with the rack on top, sort of like a big "T"

That´s a good idea, the NEO-110 is a great cab too. Definitely try out different combinations.

8. Markbass do Neo speakers. Don't know if you've heard of them. It's an Italian make and there's a few threads in here about them.

The Guitar, amp and keyboard centre in Brighton stock them though that's probably quite a drive for you.

I've got one of their 4x10s and it it sounds great, and only weighs 55lbs, but they're not cheap.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Epifani makes a killer 4x10 UL, equipped with neos. My cab is about 57 pounds! :hyper:

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nice rig, man !
    I'm also thinking about getting a pair of EBS NEO 112.
    These ultralight NEO cabs are the future, IMO.

Please, can you confirm no cow was harmed when making your bass ? :D

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    If only I didn't love ashdown so much. But maybe when I need a 500+ watt rig neo's would be order.

BTW Love the cow print have you thought about having your amps covered the same :D

12. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    Genz-Benz makes some awesome cabs; I have two NeoX212's and love them. They hold a low B very well, are reasonably efficient, are LOUD, and have great tone.

13. Don´t worry, it´s 100% artificial! :D

And TaySte: Yeah, I´ve been considering covering my rack with that same fabric; I still have few meters of it left. I´ll leave the cabs as they are though...

And BTW, I like Ashdown´s stuff too. I was actually almost sold on getting an Ashdown rig, but I couldn´t decide what cab to get. I was trying different combinations in the shop when the salesguy suggested I should try EBS cabs too. I was like:"Yeah, right, they are way over my budget". "Not necessarily" said the guy and brought out a certain little black box...

I was still going to get an Ashdown head but then a too-good-to-pass-deal on an EBS-1 pre fell on my lap and I went for the rack setup. But I wouldn´t mind having an Ashdown MAG top as a backup.

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think the GK NEO cabs sound great.............

15. If I were in the market for Neo cabs, I would habe a close look at Hevos cabs, they make some interesting stuff. As is I play two Epi 2x10 ULs which are great sounding and you can carry one in each hand!

16. Mesa scout cabs use neo's and come in a 1x15 w\tweeter and 1x12 w\tweeter config...very light

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    NEOS are.........um.....warm.