Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neo vs Regular Magnets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Jan 26, 2005.

1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Good Morning:

For those who own Neodynamium speakers, how do they compare to traditional magnets? I was curious if they alter tone, have a tone of their own, or sound close to normal magnets.

Thanks!

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Which speaker in particular? Neo's are exactly the same a ferrite in that they all sound different. And of course, some are better than others........

3. I'm getting in the habit of bumping old threads :)

Could anybody descibe the general differences between regular drivers and neos? I've heard that neos have tighter lows. Is this true? What else is generally different?

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The early
    Neo drivers seemed to me to be somewhat the equivalent of replacing a small block Chev iron motor with an otherwise identical Al block. Basically the same performance, just lighter. Modern developed designs optimise the design around the motor structure to optimise the performance of the unit, as the designer intended. So often units of a similar basic spec may not be comporable.

I design and build a lot of my own gear, so I just look for the best driver for the job. If it's Neo and lighter, that's a bonus, one which I almost always seem to be able to get with some of the newer drivers.

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i am in love with my GK neo 112 combo. the tone sounds better then 4x10s combined with a 15 IMHO. a 4x10 and 15 sound "seperated" to my ears. the single 12 neo sounds like they "molded" a 4x10 cab and 15 together into one speaker, shrunk the speaker, and reduced the weight. 12 inch neos are just so much more musical to my ears then 15s or 10s. if you can picture that... :help: lol. you really have to hear them for yourself.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm never going back.

7. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    As far as magnet technology Neo offers certain things but also it is an unstable material when it come to temperature flex.
    Tone depends on a whole a lot of things besides the magnet material but response can be different.

sOrry I could not find the site that published curves of magnetic flux under load in ALNICO, FERRITE, and NEO curves are drammatically different, alnico shows the worst curve but it actually considered to be most "musical" but doesn't offer the punch and extra lowend of heavier ferrite magnets, and neos.

I personally like Ferrite magnets for bass, I am not a huge fan of Neo's , not yet anyway.

8. The magnetic strenght is much higher, so less magnet is required (less weight) for the same motor strength.

I understand neodymium is highly toxic to work, so the death rate in the sweat shop countries will increase somewhat.

Evidently the dramtically decreased weight is also helping pricing. I notice the expensive Eminence drivers are ferrite, and the Neo are less expensive. Bill Fitzmaurice mentioned this might be attributed to reduced cost of doing business, through reduced shipping charges. Dunno, but sounds good to me.

IMO, the ferrites will go the way of JBL E140s... you will find them on eBay, but the market will be dominated by Neo. The new generation Neos from Eminence all look good.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The 12s sound good, too!

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    mmmm, neo dymium 4x12"s yummy.

11. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    My Avatar has an Eminence neo 15 in it, and damn it sounds better under my 410 and fills the roll that I want it to (stong low end) than any other 15 I tried.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The voice coil doesn't care what material is making the magnetic force it just needs to see a certain amount of it, with neo you can get enough magnetic force using a lot less material so the speaker is lighter but, my neo's are a lot more articulate than my old speakers, I'm sure this is because of other things too, not just the magnet.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Neo's are here to stay. They'll be what's left once manufacturers get a chance to revamp their old designs and deplete their stock. There's always some trial and error with new technology, and they've worked out all the kinks. Boat loads of these from overseas are much cheaper to ship. And maybe not for you personally, but a concert touring company is actually going to save big bucks hauling lighter gear that performs as well or better than old technologies.

14. Is there any loss in low end response in neos? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Myth and/or coincidence. If a speaker sounds brittle and happens to be neo, then the magnet must be the cause right? Well then how do you explain brittleness in the thousands of non-neo speakers that sound that way?

16. Reference? There's those old unsupported scare tactics again.

My search indicates that the stuff has been in use since its discovery in 1885; it's been used in the glass in welder's goggles, and lasers; and it's regarded as being of "low to moderate" toxicity" for a "rare earth" metal.

http://www.scescape.net/~woods/elements/neodymium.html

17. http://www.espimetals.com/msds's/neodymiumboride.pdf

18. +1 I'm not sure there are general differences in the sound of Neo speakers versus traditionally designed speakers.

However, Epifani was one of the companeis that was very early in the adoption of neo magnets in a full production line of speakers. Their neo speaker line (UL) had a very different sound from their regular line (NYC)... tighter low end, not as much deep bass, and more pronounced mids. I think this has a lot to do with the impression that neo speakers 'have less bottom'.

I greatly prefer the UL line to the original line, but pure personal taste.

19. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    "The rare earth elements exhibit low toxicity by ingestion exposure. However, the intraperitoneal route is highly toxic while the subcutaneous route is poison to moderately toxic."

So, it's not very toxic if you eat it, it's moderately toxic if you inject it under the skin, and it's highly toxic if you inject it directly into your abdominal cavity (um ... so don't do that).

I don't suspect any of these routes of entry are a big deal for workers making loudspeakers.

In manufacturing environments, the more insidious routes of entry tend to be inhaled dust, or exposure to disolved, ionized forms of a metal. But I have no idea what workers in a speaker factory are actually exposed to, and the msds doesn't say anything about these routes of entry. so it seems this is still a big question mark. maybe don't let your toddler play around inside you epi 410.

20. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Since I have my MarkBass Neo 410 cabinet, I can not ever think I would go back to regular magnet.

The Neo`s put in the MarkBass rig do not alter the tone, but reproduce the tone of the bass.