1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEndWooly, Oct 11, 2013.

1. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I have a TC Electronics RH750 (being replaced by a streamliner 600 if the A/B goes well) on a Fender Rumble 2x8 and a fEARful 112 that I THOUGHT would be a good, portable combo..

I just have not been able to get tight low end out of it.

Everything I do, it sounds floppy and boomy.. any advice?

I have a RAY34ca (with a Nordstrand MM4.2 PUP replacement, through a Sonic Stomp, Empress ParaEQ and a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B.

On paper, this sounds awesome.. maybe I just don't know how to dial it in?

If I get new cabs, I'd want them to be neo, so what are some of the tighter low end neo cabs out there?

Advice, please.:confused:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Have you checked out TBr's fdeck's HPF V3 that tightens up the low end and protects your speakers?

I also suggest you test your rig starting with the amp and the 1x12 sans pedals. Try to dial it in. Take photo of amp settings. Many TBrs use that setup to do pretty much all their gigs.

Then add in one pedal at a time and go from there.

What kind of music do play? Venue sizes? Tried any other basses with you rig?

3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    You're running it through a fEARful, which are known for their bottomless lows. Get more aggressive with the EQ for starters. Cut bass and bump low mids.

4. Pretty sure that TC is all over highpassing and bumping low mids right out of the box.

5. LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I've seen the fdeck.. is the [sfx] micro thumpinator the same? I've been tempted to try that route..
    I play all sorts of stuff from gospel to funk to rock to fuzz to synth
    Venues are small to small/medium. Outdoors are the toughest to get set, but those are less frequent.
    I only have one bass.. ol' trusty.

I'll try cutting the bass and bumping the low mids.. will that still get me that fat low end? I have a long way to go with understanding EQ including frequencies..

6. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    This is true. If OP trades it for a Streamliner, then my advice may become more practical.

7. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Fatness usually comes from strong midbass and low mid output, which fEARful cabs don't naturally do. Fortunately, they take EQ exceptionally well so it won't be hard to fill in. Are you running that Rumble cab at the same time as the fEARful?

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That would be a total waste of money with the TC RH750, which has one of the highest 'hi pass' settings in the industry to my ear. Quite frankly, with the 12/6 cab, that is your issue. The LF loaded cabs excel in a frequency range the RH750 doesn't even reproduce. Just a bad matchup IMO (sounds WONDERFUL with the RS210 to me).

The Streamliner sounds nice with the 12/6 (I used a 900 with a fEARful 15/6 for a sort while, but it wasn't my thing... too much deep low, not enough low mid punch, not enough mid mid definition, and too many peaks and aggressiveness in the upper mids/lower treble that the Streamliner's baked in voicing and somewhat limited EQ made hard to dial out). That being said, if you like it big and mid-relaxed and fat and wide down low, the 12/6 with the Streamliner will definitely put a pillow under the band, which is a good thing for many.

I would also work with the 12/6 alone, since that is a very strange cab combination if you are running that Fender cab with the 12/6. I would think the little 2 x 8 cab (if I'm understanding your set-up) will dominate the 12/6 given the higher sensitivity, resulting in a somewhat thin, nasal tone with that head.

Edit: Per your question, if you decide to stick with the TC head (which is quite nice in its own way if you like it mid punchy and warm), and you have some money to spend, the Bergantino CN212 sounds great with that head. Very lightweight, nice sensitivity (4ohms and not massively extended down low... loud per watt for a great stand-alone cab), and nice mid-mid presence with a very 'paper cone' sounding top end. On a lower budget, if you can find one of the Genz NeoX212II cabs, it is in the same general tonal universe as the CN212. IMO and IME.

9. Ditch the 208 and get a real amp with your fEARful.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

LOL Well, that is definitely one way to go. To the OP, the best match I've ever found with a 12/6 cab like yours is the Genz Shuttle Max 9.2. Tight low end that is still big enough to bring the thunder with that cab, wonderful control of the balance of deep bass to lower mids, and a wonderful variable hi pass/bass boost built into the head, lots of EQ up and down, nice power at 8ohms.

11. I just dont see those cabs pairing well. I know that the 12/6 is a ver capable cab, and with an amp that has the eq power, it can give the op what he wants.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Either go with the fEARful and a new head, or keep that very nice head and switch to a cab that is better suited to it. Either way makes sense. The 2 x 8 makes no sense for sure.

13. LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Okay, KJung and CL400Peavey,

What set up would you recommend? I like the idea of a lighter rig, but definitely like sweet tubiness.. cab wise, I would like to have two pieces, one that can be used more for a monitor with PA and then stacked for a full volume.

I really don't have a clue when it comes to technical stuff on gear, apparently.

14. LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    So, I think, from what I've read, I need to switch out my cabs. No problem.

Here are the choices that I've come across that I think might work:

Top of the list is Bergantino CN212. Never heard it, but I've definitely heard plenty about it. Price is steep, but if it'll give me what I'm yearning for, I'll bite the dust.

Second is Aguilar. the GS112 and GS112NT stack. Again, never heard it.. but Aggies seem to be a favorite amongst TBers.

Then there's Avatar. Super cheap.. but are they worth it? What mix would be best for what I'm wanting.

Then there's the question of if I should stick with my Streamliner 600 or move up. I think I'd want to make the move to the new Mesa Prodigy all tube, but it's so new that I haven't heard a lot about it. Or I would go the boutique way and get a Monique dovecage preamp with a minnie 800 power amp. (these are down the road when I've saved enough).

15. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I find the TC cabs to be a great match for the RH750. One, or better yet two, RS210s would work very well.

I have no experience with the Streamliner, but IMO GKs MB heads work well with threeway fearful type cabs. Open and uncompressed low end, and enough eq power to tame the brightness without sounding dull.

This is based on my MB800/Barefaced Big Twin T rig.

16. From what I have gathered from hanging out on TB what you need is a FF 12sub or another 12/6 mirrored to line up the mids and highs vertically.

If that still sounds arse switch amps. TC amps have their own thing going on, highpassing the hell out of it and compressing.

Ditch the 2X8 whatever. Obviously the cab mix is fubar.

17. LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    done. 2x8 is going to some ebayer.

worked a deal on here for two aggie gs112s.