Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neodymium, GK or Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ok, I've been thinking plenty about this and I've had a time trying to decide which one would better suit my needs. I like the GK because it would match perfectly with my 700RB-II and it's been said to have a lot of midrange, something my Traynor YBX1510 lacks. Also, I want to lose the weight of my B410 Delta which I love except for the weight. So I'm looking for any opinions/experiences/insights in regard to the GK NEO 2x12 and Avatar B410 Neo. Thanks!

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i have the GK-1001rb-II head. i went with the avatar 410neo because they had an excellent rep, and i couldn't see spending the extra money on the GK-neo. that being said....
    the rep lives on.

but what about biamp ability? you ask.
    well, if your THAT concerned, you can rewire the avatar cab so the horn is on it's own set of leads. dave at avatar discussed this option with me, and yes it's doable.

3. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Don't ignore the GEnz Benz

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I too once spoke with Dave about biamping my B410 Delta but decided it wasn't worth it to me because I don't like tweets much in the first place. Also, how much is the Genz-Benz and how is it voiced? I'm pretty forward with mids and bottom, not a whole lot of highs as I don't like hearing the strings on the frets, also why I don't like tweeters. Thanks for the idea!

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Tubster, I checked out the Genz-Benz but it only comes in 4 ohms and my GK head only pushes 4 ohms max and I don't want to rule out getting a 2nd cab like a 210 later on if it seems like a good idea. Right now I' leaning towards the GK 2x12 with maybe an Avatar B210 Neo down the road should it prove necessary. Thanks for the idea thought Tub, it looks like a great cab, in 8 ohm form maybe I'd get it but not in 4 ohm.

Anymore ideas?

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Anyone know anything about the Mesa/Boogie 2x12? It's also Neodymium, 600 watts and looks like it might fill my needs nicely as well. Decisions, decisions..... :bassist:

7. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    Don't forget Dr. Bass. I'm getting a 2x12 from him in about 2 weeks. Marc will give you good advice and is a great guy to work with. His website is a bit rough at the moment, but it's worth checking out - http://www.drbasscabs.com/.

8. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I have tried the Portabass and Epi UL 210 cabs and they both had the same problem - no tone. Cardboard sounding mids and no lows.

That's why I'm planning on getting a pair of Bergie HT112 cabs. They are only 40 lbs apiece using conventional magnets and have the best tone I have ever heard in ANY cab much less small cabs. Right now I use Avatar 1x12 cabs.

Tom H.

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    So the neo cabs you've tried have been "toneless"? What about the tone was crappy, just a lack of midrange?

11. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    very little lows and cardboardy-sounding mids - Since I have only heard this sound out of light weight neo-equipped cabs I have no other words to describe it.

12. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    you guys talking about all neos? my avatar 410neo has fantastic tone. enough rumble to make you nearly $#!+ yourself, and more highs then i care to utilize. and the mids are spot on.

13. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    In my post I specifically referred to Portabass and Epi UL. But I figure if the Ampeg and the high end Epi both sound
    'cardboardy' what are the chances of a cheaper cab sounding good. That said, I like my conventional magnet Avvies and would possibly try an Avatar 210 Neo if Dave would offer something other than those nasty, harsh, plastic sounding Foster tweeters. I attenuate the fosters below 9 o'clock or can't even listen to it. Maybe I should call him and see if there is another tweeter available as a substitute. He has always been good to work with.