Neodymium - hemp cones, what's next?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Knowlton, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I was just reading an article in Stereophile on A Brown Soun (sic) hempcone speakers - anyone know anything about them? At this time they have a 2x10 and a 4x10 for bass. The URL is: Tonetubby

Since I can't resist.......They claim their speakers will smoke anything else out there!

Dan K.
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Hemp is pretty strong so maybe that's why they use it. Gotta say thought i hate the logo, the buff arm, i could imagine that in top gun.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gives new meaning to "smoking a speaker."
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Oh, they'll never give up with this hemp stuff ;)
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    nice that there's color choices for the cabs though...
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well obviously SMASH, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about because I read the website and this is what it said:-

"the basic difference between the Hemp and paper cone is: The Hempcones just have more Everything. More overall Frequencies (tone), highs, lows, mids with NO CONE CRY, NO ICE PICK HIGHS, just Smooth, Warm, cuts on a dime TONE. Like coloring in a black and white picture, like fine red wine, like deep rich chocolate! The Hempcone also loves power. It increases the 20 watt paper cone Tone Tubby speaker to a 40 watt speaker"

Now I'm hungry and, and, and I believe em because speaker manufacturers never lie. These speakers go up to 11 ..........
  7. AFTER they've "smoked" them. :oops: :eek: :eyebrow:
  8. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I believe them when they say that they sound different. I experimented with some Emminence "Cannabis Rex" 12's for a guitar cab before and they had a very "dark" sound to them. When really cranked up or a bit they gave off a nasty smell though, not at all the kind of smell I would have hoped for ;). There was no doubt that they had some unique characteristics to them though, they were not "just another paper cone" at all.
  9. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Interesting. That Cannabis Rex speaker goes lower than any of the other Patriot/Redcoat speakers ( as far as I know of ), but it has one of the lowest power handlings as well. So hemp gives a dark sound?
  10. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That particular speaker in the box I put it in I found to be that way, yes.
  11. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

oh man, i'm plugging a joint into my behringer's active input, and see if it doubles my wattage. :D

now seriusly, i can understand the drives sounding "lower" (a stiffer cone, slower driver should cut some highs), but what's up with a cone icreasing wattage?
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whats next? Hemp blow-up dolls and hemp hockey pucks.
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Isn;t hemp very rough like sandpaper? I don't thnik that'd be a comfortabe blow up doll
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    There are some weirdos out there.
  15. Well blow up dolls aside, over the years they've tried just about everything for cone material. We've got paper, aluminum, hemp, polypropylene, carbon fiber, wool fiber, plastic, silk, etc.

All I can figure it's like vacuum cleaners. You can't sell more of them it they are the same year after year. Except for the well-we've-always-done-it-that-way-so-why-change people. It's all about marketing, not how many watts it can handle or miniscule changes in tone.

So there.

16. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Don't forget Kevlar cones, one of the best 18" subs I ever heard had a bright yellow Kevlar cone. (The same stuff bulletproof vests are made of)
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I almost laughed out loud on this one :D :D , but since my dad is sleeping, I had to hold myself back.
    They at least have a good sense of humor :smug:
  18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Those Guys are the real deal in Guitar Amps I have a reconed Vintage 30 in a Marshall guitar 112 60 watt tube combo. It rocks!

that being said they are hippies in marin who work with hemp.......

19. Unfortuantly Hemp in these state will give about as much intoxication as smoking a kipper...

i.e Not a lot...

20. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I have seen/touched (but not played) the hemp cone speakers.

The material seems strong, but softer than regular paper. That should in fact damp out the "spitty" sound of some paper.

I bet it is more evident on guitar. The added weight might affect resonance, etc.

I think some of the hype is that anything with an "illegal" quality to it must be better, because its "suppressed". Hemp is pot plant (cannabis) stem fiber. Actually I think hemp is from cannabis indica, not cannabis sativa, but who's counting?

It used to be used for rope until the drug thing got big. The rope is probably the nicest natural fiber rope ever, strong and flexible, btw, good for climbing, etc. Way better than the otehr types like manila fiber.

The same properties might be good or bad for speakers....dunno yet.