Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neodymium or Neodynium?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daniel Elliott, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I've seen it in print and online both ways. Various periodic tables have it spelled both ways also. Which is correct?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's ALWAYS neodymium AFAIK. Exception: aluminium ;)
    http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/60.html

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Nd.html

3. Neodynium
    As a member of the fourteen member lanthanide series, this element has few properties which distinguish it from the other members of the series. All of them along with lanthanum, yttrium, and scandium occur in very small quantities in nature. The usual source is the mineral monazite, or monazite sand, which is a mixture of phosphates containing also some thorium phosphate.

Neodynium has found recent use in the manufacture of rare earth magnets which produce very high magnetic field strengths with small masses.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pertab/nd.html

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Dan. Did you get in an argument with Bob? Bob can't spell. Trust me on this one. I've been there remember. :)

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There you have it, again both versions... Call it what you want, we will know what you mean... and this would only look like a minor mistake compared to the spelling of some people... :eek: ;) :D

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Too damn expensive" in my dictionary.

7. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    What he said.

Neodynium is not in any of the three dictionaries I checked, so it does not even seem to be any sort of alternate spelling.

8. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    When is GK going to introduce their NEODYMIUM cabs?

9. Well we showed a 112, a 212 and a 115 at the NAMM show. I don't have an official shipping date yet, but we're just finalizing a few cosmetic issues then it'll be ready for production.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Neodymium! It's the way of the future! 2x10's that weighs 20kg instead of 35Kg and still sound good - how can you argue with that?

Good move GK.

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
  12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

Cheaper than Phisotherapy......

13. My money's on neodymium.

I'm still hoping that someday we'll all agree on the proper pronunciation of "piezo."

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fat chance, Terry. You should hear some of the other gems, like Epiphone and Fodera.
    :D

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  16. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    From a marketing standpoint, I think you want to go with the "neodynium" spelling since that is the industry standard spelling (for your industry anyway). Otherwise the lesser-educated folk will think that you can't spell, and your customer support line will be filled with inquiries as to whether "neodymium" is the same as "neodynium".

Edit - Late night dyslexia. Definitely the "m" is proper, but the "n" is a surprisingly common mistake as judged by a Yahoo search.

17. Somehow I feel a song coming:

"You say neodymium, I say neodynium..."

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's not the industry standard spelling. I can't find any evidence that it's standard spelling anywhere at all. AFAICT, it's just a mistake--a common one, but a mistake.

Dictionaries have -m-, not -n-. And if you Google on both terms, you'll find that -m- outnumbers -n- by something like 50 to 1. On MEDLINE it's more than 80 to 1. To me it's clearly a mistake resulting from false analogy to words like plutonium and titanium.