Neodymium speakers for modern amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boppingtheory, May 30, 2002.

1. Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Some modern loudspeakers are characterized by their extreme lightness due to neodymium (Nd) magnets that allow as much as 60% weight reduction compare with their ferrite counterparts.
    My musical experience with those is actually being extremely satisfactory (great accuracy in dynamics reproduction and smooth yet powerful sound) even if I have got some doubt about their reliability because of the heath (even 120°C) their magnet can generate.
    Any thought/experience about?
  2. I would kill for lightweight speakers that can reproduce low frequencies accurately at high volumes, but given the enormous power levels required to generate fundamentals and second harmonics of notes on the B and E strings of the bass guitar, I think heat would be a serious factor.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i know Celestion makes the new Century speaker for guitar cabs. most guitarists who've tried it say its got big, tight bottom end, with glassy highs, and little in the way of midrange. For my playing style, it seems like it'd translate into a great slap bass speaker. Wooo HOoo, cant wait!
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Wonder why a Nd-magnet speaker would run any hotter than a ferrite one? Maybe it's because of the different geometry needed by Nd? Then that means we just need to wait for them to come up with the right venting and heatsinking (I don't think a big ferrite magnet sinks much heat, being a ceramic, but then the correspondingly large steel back plate sure does) for the design.

They've been making Nd tweeters for some time now. . .lighter woofers would be sweet! Wonder how long it'll be until the frames are cast magnesium (or titanium?) - with big huge magnets there before there wasn't much use for lighter baskets.

Then again, I know nothing about where they mine Nd - hopefully not the rain forest or something like that. . . :)
  5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Isn't titaniaum non-magnetic?
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, but the basket doesn't need to be made of a magnetic metal. Heck, you could even make it of some sort of composite, if you wanted to.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tech Soundsystems switched to Neodymium speakers more than a year ago.
    They offer a 4x10 with 1400W RMS @ 24kg!

Glockenklang now offers Neodymium versions of their cabs too.

I haven't played the new Glocks yet, but the Tech cabs are state-of-the-art.
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Are Tech Soundsystems cabs any good? They sure have good specs:

The 2x12 weighs all of 19.5kg! 30Hz, 400W, 102dB sensitivity. Damn, I want one!

Anyone know who sells them in the US?
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Salwender was the US distributor, but not anymore, or so it seems.