Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neodymiun(strong magnets for your custom made pickups)???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Dec 12, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Is it possible to use this(neodymiun), it's really strong, i think it would make a perfect pickup, very responsive!!! lots of output thought.... :rolleyes:

Do someone here knows what would happen if i use strong magnets like this for my pickups?? How would it sound???

(need some help with this, cause i can get some.... my luthier makes any kind of pickups, hope he can deal with this)

(i'm working with "the Evil bass player"--> supporting member here in TB, he had the idea)

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't think stronger magnets would be too good an idea - already, with some pickups if you get them too close to the strings they can "choke" the response.

Remember that, the stronger the magnetic field, the harder it will be for the strings to vibrate in it.

I suppose it could lead to some neat effects. . . ;)

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    :rolleyes:

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Fishman use this in their "Rare Earth" pickups, might be worth a visit to their website?
    :)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - this was mentioned in the interviews and articles about the design of the Roscoe Beck signature bass - magnetism that is too strong can also cause intonation problems above the 12th fret.

They solved this problem - with more, smaller and less powerful magnets - and it certainly worked well on the RB5!

6. I think EMG's have Neodynium magnets but I am not sure

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Allodox has a custom neodym pickup fitted in his Ibanez ATK. (not sure he still have the bass)

This was done by a cutom bass shop in germany.
    I cant' remember the shop's name but if you do a search on Allodox's threads, you'll find it.

JP

8. Thanks JP, i did a search before Esteban (FractalUniverse) started this thread. The custom AllodoX's ATK pup remplacement it's made by Bassculture. The site has no information about their pickups, only says that they are "custom made".

I have a piece of NIB magnet large enough to make 2 jazz pups from it, and im aware how strong this magnet is, but i don't know the response of this supermagnet on electrical instruments. I think the only "mussical" aproach of NIB magnets are Speakers.

Thanks for all the replies, more feedback it's also apreciated!

EBP

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually, I think if you read around on their website youw ill see that they use smaller weaker magnets to lessen the effects of the pickups on the strings vibration, and use an internal preamp to boost the signal.

Peace
    Nick