1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neodynium pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Muaguana, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Anyone try Q-tuner's Neodynium pickups? I'm looking for some pups to replace the Teslas in my 5-string, and these intrigue me:

http://www.q-tuner.com/bl5.shtml

If anyone has used these and have feedback to give, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
  3. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    I have no idea how I missed that one; I did the search too. Thanks!

4. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    They rock, plus they look great!

DSC_8146.

5. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I suggest SGD Lutherie pickups. He also make neo pickups and the owner is an awesome guy to deal with. Youll save a lot of moey as well.

6. I haven't bought a set of pickups yet, (Waiting for him to get going with his split coil pickups.:hyper:) but I can attest that David is definitely an awesome guy to deal with.

7. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    He is currently working on a set for me and has been an awesome guy to do business with. He went out of his way to get me what i wanted.

8. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    SGD's Neo pickups are awesome.

I also have a pair of Q-Tuners, and they sound great, BUT their Neo magnets just seem to be too strong for my bass. I installed the bridge pickup first (since that was the first one that I ordered) and it sounded very nice. Then, when I ordered and installed the neck pickup later, I started noticing that the low B and E strings had weird "phasey" sounds, almost like a detuned effect. I've seen this on other pickups before, which have very strong magnets in them. Apparently the magnetic field pulls the strings too forcefully, which causes them to be damped and this causes the "phasey" effect. This is most noticeable on the thicker strings. When I went back to my previous neck pickup, the problem went away.

David at SGD (who is indeed a very nice guy, as others have mentioned) says this is called "Strat-itis". His Neo pickups don't exhibit this problem at all.

9. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Well, he has an audio clip playing Schism with his pickups, so that alone tells me he's awesome. I'll definitely look into him once I get the capital together for a pickup upgrade. Thanks a lot for the heads up, guys.:hyper:

10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I'll second (or is it 'third' or 'fourth'?) the reccomendation for SGD pickups. David is a super-great guy, very knowledgeable and easily accessible. Oh, and his pickups sound great, which is icing on the cake...lol. I put a set of the Neo SGD's in an Ibanez GSR206, and it's an entirely new bass. For my application (pop/rock covers) the neck pickup tends to be just a little too thick, so I installed series/parallel switches for both pickups just last night, which allows me to 'thin out' the neck pickup when necessary. For a passive bass, it's very versatile (currently set up as volume/volume/tone, with a pickup selector switch and the S/P switches). Anyway, before I go off the deep end, I highly recommend SGD!!