1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neon - John Mayer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thorplaysbass, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Is there a bassline recorded on John mayers electric of neon? My band wants to cover it and all I hear is the guitar tuned really low

2. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    There is a bassline on the band version (album version - room for squares) yes.

It's very staccato, I don't think he plays a low C either

It's C / Eb / F (low) / G# / Bb

The rest is pretty easy to work out.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc9VXLtgw5g

Headphones and you'll hear it. Like redhot said, staccato, a little walking between the roots for the verses, little funky fills in the breaks, more walking and fills in the chorus. Tasty, but pretty simple to cop.

Not a fan of Mayer per se, but I saw him play in front of the lead singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket on a solo tour in the 90s, before he had any radio play and the ladies went BATCRAP CRAZY. I think his name at birth was John Panty Dropper Mayer. In other words, good add.

4. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    "hearing" what the bass guitar played in a song is over rated. Understand what the chords in the song are and what the melody is and you can construct your own bass line. For that song maybe just doubling that low guitar string is all you need to do.

I'm only chiming in cuz I totally love that song.