Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neoprene fretboards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierce, Jan 9, 2005.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    when i was in high school WAAAY back when, there was a guy who was in love with his bass (to the point where he was weird about it:eyebrow: ). he showed it too me once. it was fretless, and may have been a 4-6 string.

i wasnt into basses then, but what struck me as neat was the fret board. it was black, and seems slightly spongy, like dense neoprene. it seemed to indent slightly when he pressed the string down. did i just misperceive what it was, or was there actually flexible fretboards at one time.

he may even be on this board. if you played fretless bass, and went to a small highschool in southern louisiana in the late 80's, then it might be you. :eek: btw, i am now "weird" about basses too! :p

2. Doesn't sound likely... that would absorb all the sustain. Most people tend to go for harder rather than softer fretless fingerboards.

3. yeah, that does sound odd...but do you think it might do the same thing as putting some foam under the strings near the bridge (ala jamerson) so kill the sustain, and make it slightly like an upright? that would be kind of cool, although it'd probably be more of a novelty if it worked...

4. Something that soft would probably make a thump sound like playing rusted Fender strings on a Greco hollowbody underwater.

5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i agree with everything said above. i figured i misuderstood what i rememmbered, but wasnt sure. must have been a phenolic or ebony fingerboard.

6. I saw a bass in a magazine- I think it was at a trade show in Germany- it had a velvet-topped fretboard. No more details than that, & I never saw it again. This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

7. hmmm...i'd like one covered in a green and purple floral velvet wallpaper....like irises or something. now THAT would be nice... :D