1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neox 112 port measurements

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Oct 2, 2008.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm trying to model a Genz-Benz Neox 112 in WinISD, but the porting is not working out. Can someone provide me with the measurements for the side edge ports, including depth?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that the cabinet is based on a driver with custom TS parameters that are quite different than anything off the shelf. That's part of the performance package.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    This implies that perhaps there are drivers with specs, and therefore performance, unavailable to the home builder. That's not the case. You can only do so much tweaking with a specific frame and motor, and every tweak is a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation, giving up something in one area to gain something in another. In the case of Eminence in particular the version of a frame/motor that they release for retail sale is the one that they believe gives the best overall performance.

That being said, without the driver specs you can't duplicate the cab. But why bother trying? Anyone with sufficient design and construction skills to do a successful knock-off would also have the ability to design their own cab from scratch, and avoid the potential ramifications associated with IP theft. Stealing an idea is still stealing.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    In a small cabinet, there are tradeoffs that we make via significant tweeks in the TS parameters that would not deliver the same results if a stock driver was used in the same smaller cabinet. The basket/moter is only a very small part of the overall parameter equation.

Just like there are some significantly more important parameters for a driver intended to perform well in a horn loaded enclosure like yours, using any stock off the shelf driver may not deliver expected performance either.

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    This isn't so much about ripping someone else off, as it is trying to get a grasp behind design considerations. I've never designed or built a speaker before, and have no intention of doing so beyond satiating my personal curiousity.

The Neox is (on one hand) simply a cosmetically appealing Onken enclosure. The only Onken plans I've been able to locate are for 15" stereo speakers for bass only, where the Neox is 12" and full range. I lack the skills to fully comprehend how to manipulate all of the physical enclosure parameters to properly reduce its size, but it doesn't mean I can't learn from an example.

The design goals for hi-fi stereo speakers are vastly different than for musical instrument sound reinforcement, in this case with regards to portability (size and weight). I'm trying to understand high-level speaker design before getting into the tough stuff. I'll admit that maybe the Onken is too challenging for a first go, but from the little I've been able to glean I understand it's appeal. And who's to say that through my curiousity I won't find a better Onken implementation than the Neox?:eyebrow:

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Eden XLT cabs are also Onken type designs. But there's nothing that special about an Onken, it's just a ported cab with dual slot ports that act as bracing for two of the walls.

Alex

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's nothing at all special about the so-called Onken implementation, it's just a ducted port, using a shelf port instead of a tube. The reason you don't see them used in full range hi-fi situations is that hi-fi doesn't use full range drivers larger than eights. If they did it wouldn't be hi(gh)-fi(delity).