Neptunes vs. Timbaland

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 22, 2002.

Neptunes vs. Timbaland?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2003.
  1. The Neptunes

10 vote(s)
  2. Timbaland

1 vote(s)
  3. Carrots

4 vote(s)
  1. These guys pretty much own the pop charts, and I don't think a single TBer hasn't heard at least one song that each has produced. Who's your favorite, independent of the singers/rappers with whom they work?
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Tough call, but my vote goes to the Neptunes.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I honestly never heard any of their stuff (at least not knowingly). I don't listen to radio and don't watch music tv.
  4. I have heard neither, or at least not their names.. I guess no one likes them out here... at least not a lot.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Being that Timbaland is ripping off the Neptunes' sound on Jay Z's latest, I vote for them.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I've never heard (that I know of) or heard of them. If they are involved with rap, hopefully I never will. I don't pay much attention to pop charts, but if a so-called "artist" is doing well on the charts, I'm fairly certain that I won't care for it (judging from my past experiences).
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Turock: That's the beauty of todays "rap" producers. They ain't just doing rap, so you hear them whether you want to or not.
  8. did timbaland do "big pimpin"? that's some good stuff. but i do enjoy the neptunes' work on the justin timberlake song. i don't think i'm familiar enough with their respective ouvres to choose.
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    timbaland started off putting annoying subliminal noises in the background.

froggish croaks in that ginuwine song. baby cries in that aaliyah song. etc.

neptunes? n.e.r.d. 'nuff said. (i.e., i HATE them :D)

did timbaland do "big pimpin'"? and just what the hell happened to magoo?
  10. I think my vote would have to go with Timbaland, the Neptunes are alright...but I'm really getting tired of Clipse *shudder*
  11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't really know if I would mind hearing "them" or not, but I do know that I don't want to hear any of their rap.
  12. The Neptunes.

You see 'em around town here alot. The N.E.R.D. CD is great.

Two of my friends ran into Pharrell at the IHOP on First Colonial Rd. and asked him to sign a dollar for them. Pharrell pulled out two hundred dollar bills, signed 'em both, and gave 'em to them. Sounds like a nice guy.
  13. It looks like I'm one of the few Timbaland fans here. I adore his work with Aaliyah and with Missy Elliot, but I'm a weird guy who listens to Anthony Braxton and Sun Ra.

DHC, I'm pretty sure Timbaland did "Cry Me a River." It's way too glitchy for the Neptunes--unless they're getting back at him for ripping them off on that Jay-Z song...
  14. I too love the work he did with Aaliyah. It's ashame that plane crashed and took her life. She was so talented and had so much more to contribute. R.I.P Aaliyah.:(
  15. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Just a big fan of the Neptunes. Unforunately I don't really get to enjoy them that much as they do work for some of the most uninspiring second-rate rap artists I've ever heard.