1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nervous about buying a bass on TB

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Sue Egypt, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    Just as the title says I want to buy a bass from a TalkBass classified but I'm worried about it for a few reasons.
    1. I haven't had my hands on it and it's too far away to try before buying.
    2. What is something is wrong with it? Does TB get involved with transactions at all like eBay? Will I have recourse if there's a problem?

I bought a bass from a guy on TB years ago but I actually drove 7 hours to pick it up from the guy and paid cash. Felt safer that way and less likely to regret it.

I welcome your thoughts/guidance fellow bass people.

Update-
    I decided not to make the purchase because the seller is not responding to my private messages.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    1. What's the TBr's rating?
    2.No.

Paypal has buyer protections.

3. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    K thank you. The TBer in question is at 100% positive so that is heartening.

4. I have never bought but sold one.

If the seller has completed other sales maybe you can contact the people that bought from him and confirm they were happy with the transaction?

Sue Egypt likes this.
  5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    100% of how many transactions? I got burned once here, but the guy turned out to be a scumbag and disappeared immediately after, he had a good rating. But, all in all, I would say that you are about as safe on here as you are anywhere, use PayPal!!

2boom, Sue Egypt and bass12 like this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    You're always taking a chance when buying without trying. No way around that. Most TBers who buy and sell on TB want to maintain a good feedback record. Unless you're dealing with someone who has no history buying/selling -wise on TB (or with someone who has a negative feedback rating) then I would be pretty confident about buying here. I've had nothing but good experiences with the TB classifieds.

GregC and Sue Egypt like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's always some risk even with 100% positive feedback. That's the reality of buying from an individual. That shouldn't necessarily stop you but it is what it is.

Sue Egypt likes this.
  8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I've purchased five basses from the Classifieds here on Talkbass without issues. (I still own three of them.) That's not to say you won't have problems, but I'd trust the sellers on here much, much more than any other site.

Sue Egypt likes this.
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Pay with paypal goods and services. Never friend money using the friends and family option. If you do that and there is something wrong, you’re screwed. As stated in the Classified FAQ, all transactions are at your own risk. TB is unable to get anyone’s money back in the event of a bad deal.

I’ve been dealing here for years with no issues though.

10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    If you are concerned about what will happen when the bass is actually in hand, then I'd put some stipulations around the deal. I have made trades with a right to return window. You just need to be aligned since someone has to eat the shipping costs on a return so best to get that squared away up front. Depending on where you are shipping, a round trip shipment ticket will more than likely be north of $100 and no seller is looking to lose that because in person the color looks different or you didn't realize that 12lbs was actually pretty heavy until you held it.

If you are a nervous buyer, I'd set something up with the seller that gives you an opportunity to check it out and send it back at your cost if it doesn't meet your needs. This way there is no risk to the seller to lose money if you have buyers remorse once it shows up in person. Obviously get all the appropriate contact info to make sure that the seller doesn't just ignore you too.