1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nervous about getting a new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mbart203, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    22154284_1713508068660458_5167095914065189924_n.
    So my old Carvin BX600 has recently died.
    Not a big deal because it was a bit sterile and I wanted to replace it anyway.

My current cabs are two Fender Rumble 210s.
    I've been putting money aside for a new head and in the mean time I'm studying specs, reviews, etc. in order to be ready.

First off, I'll say, I really do not want to get the Fender Rumble Head. I have a Rumble 100 and I'm not so sure it's the sound I want.

I want to be able to get a good round about sound that sounds good for playing in the Church band is kind of CCM (pop rock) style but also to get a more aggressive Geddy Lee style.

My original plan was to go for a light weight 500 Watt head, probably the Peavey Minimax.
    Then I figured with upcoming sidework, I can aim a little higher in the price category.

When these Class D amps started coming out, I was leery of how long they'll last.
    Now I'm seeing so many reviews and what not that's leading me to believe many of these amps are not dependable.

I really like the Minimega but I've seen alot of issues from others.

Other heads I'm leading toward are the GK 700RB II aND as much as I've been looking past Hartke heads, the LH1000 does seem to have some great reviews.

I'm looking to keep the budget at around $650 or less. I'm also hoping to get it from Sweetwater because I just prefer the great service I get from them.

Should I stay away from 1000 watt heads with these cabs? I understand the lh1000 should be fine if I don't bridge it.

I'd love some input from you guys
    Thanks.

Alacajun likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I thought this thread was going to be about a medical miracle. :thumbsup:

BikerBob, Dieboy, DaDo625 and 56 others like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Just couldn't give me a chance to get one in there, could you? :D

LYNCHMAN, Inky13, jmone and 10 others like this.
  4. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    :smug:

5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Those 700RB-iis are one of the easiest amps for me to recommend - especially given that they can be found in the $300 range on the used market. Great sound, great reliability, and for the price (used), I'm not sure it can be beat. That series of amps is currently my personal choice for amplification, so of course I'm biased though. :p

I've also had good experiences with both the LH500 and LH1000, so I wouldn't be nervous about that option either.

Neither of all those should be that hard to find to try out - maybe plan a road trip to see how you like them through your cabs?

If you're worried about potentially having too much power at your disposal (others will say use your ears, but this is IMO a legitimate concern for certain self-aware bassists - we know who we are), there's always the LH500. Aren't each of your cabs rated at like 700w though?

EDIT: nope, 350RMS per Fender product page: "Rated at 700 watts (program), 350 watts (continuous)"

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    squidtastic, MrLenny1 and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Is that a Sega Saturn on the right?

What kind of issues have you seen from others regarding the Minimega? I'd like to know because I was actually looking at picking one them up.

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Can't go wrong with the 700RB. The Hartke LH series are probably well made but apparently have the Fender tone stack which has had 60 years to be improved but never was. I don't mean nobody's made anything better, I mean that design was never very good but it's old so lots of people have copied it verbatim. Maybe Hartke chose better center frequencies though. But I'd bet the GK is going to be a lot more musical with a lot more basses/cabs.

Genzler Magellan and Mesa Subway might also be options to look at. If you go used there are zillions of things to choose from, especially if look at traditional solid state amps.

n1as, JLY, squidtastic and 1 other person like this.
  9. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    This is a conveniently timed post as I, too, own two Rumble v3 2x10 cabs and just purchased a GK 1001RB-II. Your cabinets as a pair can handle 700 watts RMS at 4 ohms, so either the 700RB or 1001RB will be great options, perhaps being more careful with the upper reaches of the master volume on the 1001RB. Many here also like that the 700RB breaks up sooner when pushed hard, but I went the clean headroom route with the 1001RB as I prefer getting overdrive from a pedal/preamp (more consistent at varying volume levels, I've found). It also gives me 460 watts at 8 ohms, which is handy when running a single cabinet.

I haven't had a chance to gig this combination yet as I just received the amp, but initial testing at home has proved favorable. I have a gig this Saturday for its maiden voyage, but I may bring my Ampeg 8x10 as it's going to be a pretty big room. Anyway, I have used the Rumble cabs with the matching Rumble 500 head for about a year on a bunch of gigs and I can tell the 1001RB has a seriously powerful output section (not that the Rumble is insufficient; it gets very loud, never really having to go past noon on the master). I have yet to crack open the master volume past 8 or 9 'o clock on the GK for fear of damaging things in my office!

I was afraid the GK preamp would be too bland, uncolored, or hi-fi, but it warms up nicely with the Boost control bringing in some nice subtle overdrive, even when A/B compared with my Tone Hammer DI's overdrive. A nice compression pedal into the front end sounds really good with the GK preamp; it seems to thrive on higher input signal levels. I leave the tweeters turned off on the cabs, leave the GK Contour and Presence controls at flat/off, and engage the "woofer high cut" switch which rolls off everything above 5 kHz both to the speakers and the DI signal, so even the DI can sound nice and warm. Of course, if you want top end, the amp has it available in spades, but the character set flat is very even.

Given the price of entry for a 700RB, it's a very attractive option. They also aren't very heavy at roughly 20 pounds, and if you don't want to rack mount them to carry in a bag instead, the rack ears are removable. That said, I put mine in a 3-space SKB shallow rack, but that only added 10 pounds and it's very manageable 32 pound package.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  10. If you're worried about reliability you want a company with a proven record of customer service and accesibility. I'd look at the Mesa Subway or Subway + and the Genzler Magellan 800. Slightly different flavors of awesome with serious customer service and two principals who regularly post here - @agedhorse for Mesa and @Jeff Genzler for the Genzler. I have the deepest respect and appreciation of those two. As for the sound of the amps, both are very versatile and should be able to get you where you want to be. They do have different feature sets though which may impact your decision. As a disclaimer, I play the Genzler and positively love it.

n1as, Pilgrim, SteveHeissner and 2 others like this.
  11. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    Good eyes but it's actually a Sega Dream cast. I'm old school.

I've read alot of issues of them just shutting down.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Even with the pain stay away from the opoids. Loud bass playing can help. We promise not to stare at the staples. The cabs will heal. :)

dangnewt and mikewalker like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Ampeg PF 800. Sounds good, reliable, all the power you need. Not the only good choice, but one of the good choices.

14. I found a GK 800rb 20 years old for $180 as a backup and I love it.

15. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    For whatever it's worth, I have had a GK 700RB II I bought used and have been steadily gigging 3-4 times a week for 6 years and it hasn't had any issues. That's always my vote.

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The 700RBII is a solid workhorse that also happens to sound great and be way more versatile than they get credit for. If you don't mind the weight (which isn't too bad, really) it's an excellent choice. I'm personally on the fence about my next head purchase and whether I just want to get another 700RB and keep the other as backup, or dip my toes into the micro amp waters. The lower priced of the spectrum like Peavy, Ashdown and the Rumbles probably won't make it into consideration because I have similar concerns and I'd probably be looking more at Mesa and GK's micros.

17. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    My next rig will probably be a rack mounted preamp running a QSC or Crown Poweramp, but I love the GK stuff

petrus61 likes this.
  18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I might just go there myself and run off my pedalboard. That just opens a can of worms where I start spending money on multiple preamps though and wind up in a constant cycle of experimentation instead of just keeping it simple, which the RB's, and I imagine plenty of the micro offerings manage to do just fine.

19. Alacajun

Alacajun Guest

Mar 19, 2000
    I think you should check out the Tech 21 VT Bass 500 head.
    I've been doing some research and these lil buggers sound amazing.
    I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on one of these or an older Landmark 300 head myself.
    And it's available at Sweetwater....

Gluvhand likes this.
  20. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Genzler Magellan
    I love the 800 but the 350 is more affordable