Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nervous as heckarooni about upcoming gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    HOLY CRAP!

Well.. we are playing our first show the 10th of March, at Starbucks.

Do they give away free coffee to bands playing there? anybody know?

Then the saturday of the same week we are playing Higher Ground, another coffee shop about 5 minutes down the road. Im already really nervous about it. I dunno why, this is just really big for me and ive never played in front of people before.
    I was wondering how do you get over this nervousness? Smoking for me is out of the question, drugs and alchohol are out of the question. So that wouldn't work for me to well.
    Anything though? oh yes, the part that makes me nervous is we only have 7 songs solidly down, we need more, say about 4 or 5 more just to change up the setlist a bit.
    Well if you can help, thanks a whole lot.
    nick

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    dont overload the caffeine while setting up it'll just make it worse.

3. you guys should TOTALLY cover Higher Ground when you play at the place called Higher Ground. that would rule.
    i know how you can relax..ever see something about mary?
    "i've been goin' out with a loaded gun!":D

the nervousness will probably be gone when the time comes. it's just anticipation; once you get caught up in the moment, everything will flow fine.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    just don't say heckarooni at your gig and you will be alright

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    If you can, go do a few stealth-mode recces at the coffee shops on the days leading up to the gigs. Get yourself oriented with the room and the people who patronize the shops. Grab a coffee and people watch for a while - that way when you show up, you don't have any uncertainty as to how the operation works, how the room is laid out, where the power outlets are, where the sh!tter is etc. Just don't make yourself a pain to the manager - go in stealth mode as a paying customer.

As far a the day goes, get there as early as you can without disrupting business, make sure you have backup for your backup (batteries, strings, patchcords, towel, fuses, etc.). This way you remove more uncertainty.

Next, KNOW YOUR SH!T - pick a tune you know really well to start - don't worry if it's not a barn burner. It'll take a couple of bars for you all to settle in and groove. The rest just takes care of itself as long as you've got the practice under your belt. Make sure you have a couple of extra tunes in the bag to cover any shortages in time - it happens a lot..

And last but not least - try to project that you're having fun...if you're having fun, then the crowd is having fun. If you're stressed and you show it physically or in your playing, the crowd with notice it. Avoiding this is not as hard as it sounds....

And...GOOD LUCK...you'll do great!

BTW - a crappy rehearsal the night before a gig means that your gig will go well!

DD

6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Nah, then you're up s**t creek... good thing is you have a paddle :D

Seriously... after you're set up and ready, don't just sit there and stare at the stage for the last two hours before going on. Go somewhere else, keep physically active, do something that will keep your mind off the gig and get you warmed up and ready to go. Before going on, tell yourself that you're just about to do exactly what you've done a zillion times before at rehersal.

Can't help you with the lack of songs...

Good luck. You'll hover 1' 3" above the ground for a couple of days after your first gig, I tell ya... that is, if you don't **** up completely, of course ;)

BTW.. A band should always get free coffee.

7. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    man, i just opened up for VICTOR WOOTEN and i had a broken wrist at the time. you have no excuse to be nervous. it's a coffee place.

8. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hey Floyd,
    We played a place called Green Acres and pulled off the Green Acre's theme..wen't over big!!:) :)

9. cool! where is that place?
    are you playin' in the mass area anymore in the nearby future?

10. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Playing with The Boston Horns March 21st In Worcester,,

11. Hey Nick - nerves keep you on your toes. Just channel the nervousness into energy when you start to play. And have fun - that's the objective!:D

BTW - are you only solo, or do you have a band? From your site it looks like solo.....

12. if you seriously think about it, theres nothing to be worried about. The worst that will happen is you might mess up a few times, learn from your mistakes and go on. remember that screwing up is fine, but dont make it constant. you wont go down in history as "the bass player who sucked". just chill man, your playing to have fun and to get your music out, just be cool, youll be fine.

13. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Don't sweat it. It's not a big deal. Just play and have fun. The more you worry about it, the worse it will get.

I'm so glad I never had stage fright.

14. Lots of good advice here.... erik II and DirtDog, good stuff.

Like beermonkey says, it's not that big of a deal.

You know, there was only one thing that ever used to make me nervous back in the day (first live performance around 1984). It is when friends or family would look me in the eye, all concerned like, put their hand on my shoulder and say "Are you nervous yet?" "ARE YOU!?!?!?!?!" "WELL, AAAAAARRRE YOU?!?!?!":rolleyes:

I never was until they asked that.:spit: :meh:Ever.

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Hahahahaha...we do that to our drummer each and every gig!!! LOL!

DD

16. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Keep in mind that some of the biggest names in the music business STILL deal with stage fright. It's a normal part of performing.

There's been some good advice given above but I'd add this.

Sit quietly for 15 or 20 minutes BEFORE the gig. Run scales if you need something to do with your hands. Make sure that your gear is working properly. Stay away from caffeine, nicotine and sugar, and ALWAYS remember that a sincere smile gets the audience on your side immediately; so does eye contact.

Ever go to a big concert, see your hero come out and begin to look around the audience and wave to several folks. Now, tell the truth, it was YOU that he/she looked directly at.......right??? :D Try it, it works well.

Good luck with your gig...........and if you don't learn 20 or 30 more tunes before the gig...........learn how to get CREATIVE..........:bassist:

PS: DON'T advertise that you'll be playing "down the street". Retailers don't appreciate it when they hear the name of a competitors store being endorsed by one of THEIR "employees".

RB

17. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    But the reason why was kinda wierd until I sat down (literally) and thought about it.

Don't know how many of you remember how you learned to play bass, but I learned sitting down. Everytime I practiced and played at home, and at rehersals with the band I was playing with, I was sitting down. Then, come gig time, I would play standing up. AND I SUCKED!!! Finally, I got a stool and sat down while gigging. World of difference. It was about three moths of practicing standing up until I was comfortable playing in a gig situation standing. But even now, I play better sitting down.

Strange, huh?

So I'd offer to the advice already mentioned, minimize the backflips and playing behind your head a la Hendrix style. Try to keep the environment as familiar to you as possible. Make changes in rehersals, not on stage. You should be fine.

18. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I find this to be very true...can't explain why except that it must be pre-show nerves, but our last rehearsal always blows, while the gig rocks. It's fine as long as it stays that way!:D

Mario--good advice about the sitting/standing...agree completely.

19. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    ReallY? Is that the Higher Ground in Hernando Miss? My band is playing there tomarrow night. that is the 22nd, I have been their several times running sound for some of my friends, it is a cool place, but unless you are playing with people who are fairly well know in the area you probably want to do some promoation on your own. The first show that I worked at had pretty much no promoation about 4 people were there, and they did'nt know about the show. So try to hit up you friends/friends of friends ect.