Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Networking Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was just wondering if it is possible to share files between 2 computers using nothing but an ethernet cable.

Both computers are running XP.

Thanks

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

with a crossover cable ...yes

standard straight cable ....no

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Some of the better NICS have auto crossover capabilities, so if all you have at your disposal is a straight-through it's worth giving it a try.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    true, but if'n you took the time to install a good nic that wasn't the typical broadband freebe or on board... you'd most likely have a small hub or switch ;)

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Ya know, I wish everything in the world could be as simple as that.

Actually, that would probably put me out of a job...

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah really, careful what you wish for.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Both the standard cable, which is used om hub/switch topologies, and crossover cables, which are used to directly connect two computers, is used from the same CAT 5. The difference is in the color pin out.

You could make your own cross over cable if you had a crimper and a RJ45. I'm sure you could buy one from Radio Shack, though. Just be sure that you are buying a cross-over cable, and not a standard ethernet cable.

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Green/white, green, orange/white, blue, blue/white, orange, brown/white, brown.

Orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white, brown.

As long as it looks like this you'll be sweet.