Networking, Im surprised at the number of people who want to talk on the phone these days.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Jul 21, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Im looking to do even more playing than Im currently doing, so on a whim posted a craigslist ad.

Yeah, I know, craigslist. :woot:

I've gotten some responses from people that sound like they have it together, but what surprises me is the amount of talking over the phone some of these people want to do "Old School" communication is how one guy put it.

Even though Im an older guy myself at 50, my preferred means of communication is electronic. It's quicker, less time consuming, and I don't have to listen to some guy prattle on forever about stuff (I'm not a phone person to begin with, so having to listen to someone for longer than I need to on the phone is something Im not fond of).

Pendulous and bholder like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Well, if you get in a band, you'll, ugh, have to, you know, talk, face to face. Actually, aaa.. get to know people.

IME, the more you communicate in the way people who you want to hire you, the better chance you have to get gigs.

Obese Chess and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Obviously...rehearsals, gigs, etc...yes.

Setting up rehearsals, gigs, etc though? Email/IM is just a much more effective/efficient way to communicate. I've always found once on the phone, people just want to chat and waste precious time.

4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Doesn’t using your phone to text and email, along with all the other “time saving” devices and schemes used regularly through the day, then, give you much more “precious time to waste”? Just wondering.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest changing your ad to include "text or email contact only".

6. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    huh? that doesn't make any sense. Unless you meant, "use more precious time" (and yeah my time is very precious to me. It's not unlimited and i try to be smart about using it).

In this day and age of instant communication there really isn't any reason to get involved with lengthy phone calls to set things up, especially for an initial meet and greet. Thats just how I see it anyway. Working in the corporate world for the past 15 years or so has pretty much taught me that electronic communication is generally the most efficient way to get things done.

ETA: I did end up calling the guy and it's pretty much what I figured would happen...A 15 minute long winded phone call that really didn't accomplish anything other than to setup a time to get together.

7. If I'm looking for work, I am happy to communicate however the potential client prefers.

8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I humbly disagree. If 30 years in the corporate world has taught me anything, it’s that electronic communication generally is the least efficient way to get things done.
    Also, it appears that this thread has devolved in to a ”precious time waster” for me, I’m out...

pcake and Indiedog like this.
  9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I gotta agree. For short 'n sweet things that don't require any back and forth, text messages are great. For an example, texting my wife that I'll be 30 minutes late coming home from work is a great use of text messaging. There's not a lot of back-and-forth required there.

But to get any real info, I find a short phone phone call is a far more effective use of my time than a endless series of text messages that require constant clarification, deciphering typos, etc. that drags on for 10-20 minutes. To me, that kind of text message exchange is the time waster.

Like I said, there are times when text messages are the perfect way to communicate. But I think those times are limited and actually talking with someone tells you much more in a much shorter time in more cases.

As with almost everything, YMMV.

pcake and S-Bigbottom like this.
  10. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Indeed.
    In my business, I can start a conversation with a complete stranger on the phone and within 5 minutes answer all of their questions, give them a accurate sense of what we offer, and have a service booked. Or, I can answer their initial email query with a very well-thought out response that answers their questions and lists everything my potential customers would need to know. Most often, I receive a response that clearly indicates the client hasn't read or processed even half of the information they asked for. This usually becomes a protracted sequence of somewhere between 5 and 15 replies/follow-ups and after spending a stunning amount of time we finally catch up to where we would have been on that 5 minute call. I frequently answer the same questions for them two to three times in the same email stream.

People. Don't. Pay. Attention. To electronic communication.

There are so many forms available so paradoxically people barely skim any particular example. Oh sure, I have a small amount of old-fashioned, savvy customers that actually read, consider, and thoughtfully reply. Maybe 15%.
    What astounds me is that the remainder continue to feel that emails save time.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Funky Ghost and filmtex like this.
  11. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Thanks for succinctly expanding and explaining exactly what I was trying to say. I couldn't agree more.

Indiedog likes this.
  12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I prefer phone calls because it eliminates the waiting between sending and receiving messages. Your query is answered right there, no "forgot to send", no "misread text", no "didn't get your message". You either heard me, or you didn't and I'll repeat myself. I find that phone conversations are much quicker because it forces the person on the other side to have their poopie together and know what's going on. None of this text tag ********.

dave64o and Indiedog like this.
  13. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    And as a customer I can immediately gauge the professionalism of the salesperson I am chatting with on the phone. Email? Much harder.

dave64o likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008

15. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Well, I chatted with another guy who insisted on a phone call...

30 minutes later I stand by my original statement that email is a more efficient means of communication.

It was basically 5, maybe ten minutes total talking about his band and what he's looking for, and than another 20 minutes or so of stuff that just was not really relevant to the his band at all.

If you have that much time to waste on a phone call I guess 30 minutes doesn't seem like a big deal, but to me it is.

As for "delays in email responses" mentioned earlier. Im generally good with a day elapsing before a reply comes through if it means not having to spend 30 minutes with a phone glued to my ear.

oldrocker and Indiedog like this.
  16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I would never go to a band audition or even a meet and greet without first talking to the BL on the phone. Ten minutes on the phone can save me a couple hours of dealing with a whacko or wannabe time waster.

Anyone who can't or won't talk is not someone I want to play with.

Sub41 likes this.
  17. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I've been to many band auditions/meet and greets that were the result of email exchanges only. I'd say only one of those was a complete waste of time.

Than again I always ask for audio/video of someone so I can gauge their ability. It's 2018, audio recording is easily done these days, video as well to a certain extant. If someone is unable to provide at least one of those things it makes the situation more or less a "no go" for me.

I'm also not saying I absolutely won't talk with someone on the phone, but I will do my best to avoid it. If it does have to happen I'll try to do it on my way home from work and can chat on bluetooth.

gpz550 and oldrocker like this.
  18. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh sure, every so often I get someone in the phone who prattles on for too long. Maybe 5% or 10% of the time.

But about 80% of the time the email exchanges I have go on and on and waste my time.

And my customers come from all walks of life,all education levels.

19. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Right, you're talking about a business. You are trying to sell somebody something. The more you can get them talking the more chance you have to convince them.

OP was talking about band communications, not trying to talk somebody into something.

IMO for band communication - email, text or IM is more efficient. Everyone gets the same message at the same time.

Indiedog likes this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Au contraire, he was talking about recruiting, either selling himself to a band or selling his band to other players. I don't think text is great for exchanging a lot of information, asking a bunch or questions or getting a feel for others' personalities.

For everyday band stuff, I agree, text is best.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021