1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Networking issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soundoholic, Oct 27, 2003.

1. I just moved into a new place, with roommates, and I'm trying to distribute our cable internet throughout the network that I'm setting up. I have failed so far.

The tech stuff.
    I have a Lynksys Cable Router/Hub. I set up my computer into port 4 of the Hub with a straight through ethernet cable. I hooked the same type of cable to the WAN of the router to the cable modem. I cannot get a connection. My computer says "Network cable Unplugged". NOTE: All of my cables work including my cable modem as I have run the modem to my NIC card with these cables.

I have no idea what is wrong. Anybody have any ideas?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Are you setting up a Peer to Peer network, or a client/server model. Have you configured IP addresses? If you are running a client/server model, have you installed DNS and Active Directory?

3. It's alive!!!! It was the modem!!!! Had to use another one. I am networking like a mofo. Now I have to get an access point for my laptop. :)

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool. :)