Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Networking issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soundoholic, Oct 27, 2003.

1. I just moved into a new place, with roommates, and I'm trying to distribute our cable internet throughout the network that I'm setting up. I have failed so far.

The tech stuff.
    I have a Lynksys Cable Router/Hub. I set up my computer into port 4 of the Hub with a straight through ethernet cable. I hooked the same type of cable to the WAN of the router to the cable modem. I cannot get a connection. My computer says "Network cable Unplugged". NOTE: All of my cables work including my cable modem as I have run the modem to my NIC card with these cables.

I have no idea what is wrong. Anybody have any ideas?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Are you setting up a Peer to Peer network, or a client/server model. Have you configured IP addresses? If you are running a client/server model, have you installed DNS and Active Directory?

3. It's alive!!!! It was the modem!!!! Had to use another one. I am networking like a mofo. Now I have to get an access point for my laptop. :)

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool. :)