Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neurosis

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Any fans? I must say, I just bought my first Neurosis album "The Calm Before Every Storm." Usually I have to listen to an album a few times before I get it... this album instantly smacked me in the face as "brilliant." Only three bands have ever done that to me Primus, King Crimson, and Neurosis.

It's strange, I've read it's more mellow that previous releases, and it really is a mellow album, but strangely, it's heavy. Though it remains fairly tonally consistant, and only occasionally gets really heavy, it's very powerful. I've been trying to think of ways to describe it, but to no avail. It's just really... amazing.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hell yea! I love Neurosis. Check them out live if you ever get a chance. They had a crazy psychedelic light show thing goin' on when I saw them. Talented musicians.

The first album i heard was "Enemy of the Sun" a long time ago...and I had a similar experience. I was amazed, I intstantly dug it. I picked up "Souls at Zero" after that which was sick too. They've really come along way since then. They're one of those bands that hit me instantly, but upon further listens there's always more stuff you hear...know what I mean?

Also, they recorded 2 albums that synch up with each other. I forget the names of them "Through Silver in blood" might be one...but a friend played them both for me at the same time...It's pretty nuts. Awesome concept. Anyone know which ones?

I gotta check their newer stuff out. Last one I heard was "A Sun that Never Sets" which is phenominal!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I heard about the albums that sync up... that's insanity. I'm curious which two as well.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The 2 albums are Neurosis "Times of Grace" and Tribes of Neurot "Grace." I gotta get both of them and fully check it out.

Are you into Isis? I was listening to their newest album "Panopticon" today, incredible album. You'd probably love it if you like Neurosis.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Neurosis kick ass. Good work Matt.

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I decided to pop in "enemy of the sun" since I haven't listened to it in forever. Wow. The first song "lost" is amazing. Much heavier than their newer stuff...very doomy. Hard to believe this album is 13 years old.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've heard good things about Isis, I will be checking them out for sure. Oh and if Neurosis come around, you bet your ass I'll be checking them out. :bassist:

8. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Neurosis are absolutely amazing.

Isis are phenominal.

I love them =D

Definately, definately get Isis albums as soon as possible. If you love those two bands, there's a whole plethora of bands who follow in their footsteps.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pelican
    Red Sparrows
    Mouth of the Architect

All deserve a mention if you enjoy Isis.

I have three Isis cds and each have songs that are amazing and songs that drag. Maybe I'll go straight to the source if Neurosis is heads and shoulders above Isis.

10. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I love those bands too. Recently got the new MOTA album and was blown away.

If you're interested in checking out Isis Matt, go for their album "Oceanic". I personally think it's brilliant.

Cult Of Luna are definately worth checking out as well. =)

abark - I think you'd love an album by a band called "Tides" if you can get hold of a copy. Similar to Red Sparowes, and absolutely amazing.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think you mentioned them in the Red Sparrows thread. I'll check them out asap.

12. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I probably did, sorry! =)

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I only heard one song by Mouth of the Architecht...and It was real good. I need to hear some more. Whats the name of their album?

Isis is no doubt influenced by Neurosis, big time...but I wouldn't write them off as a mere clone. They got some great stuff, and have a distinct sound that is unique to them.

14. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    "Time & Withering"

15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I'm digging the new one so far, on my way through the first listen right now. They've got some different stuff going on this time, or maybe just expansions on ideas that came up with the & Jarboe album. I completely forgot this album came out, until I went shopping for the new Queens album on stonerrock.com.

:cool:

17. i checked out the neurosis dvd 'a sun that never sets' specifically because there was a thread about them on this board a while. ago. needless to say, I WAS BLOWN AWAY! i have a feeling i'll wind up with all of their recordings eventually.

i saw isis open for tool last year. jaw droppingly cool.

18. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    Great band. I have Eye Of Every Storm, A Sun That Never Sets and the DVD of the latter. I enjoy their stuff quite a bit, it's in the same vein as some of my favorite bands like Isis, Pelican, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor etc.

Isis...well, I enjoy them a lot more. Always did. Oceanic is their best IMO, but they have a whole catalouge of great albums. Their newest one, In The Absence Of Truth, is pretty damn good if you like their newer post Panopticon approach that started coming to light in some parts of Oceanic. Some of their older, more hardcore influenced work is great too and sounds a lot different. The Mosquito Control EP is highly recommended, and Celestial is among their best albums as well. I'd love to track down their live albums.

Some other bands you might want to look into that are slightly different but share a few of the same qualities are Don Caballero, Hella, Do Make Say Think etc.

I need to find material from some of the bands mentioned here. I've had people tell me about Cult Of Luna, Red Sparrows etc but can't find their albums anywhere.

19. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    Yeah Red sparrows really has my interest from what I've heard of them.

Haven't heard much DoMakeSayThink, just liked what I had heard but again not very familiar with them yet.

Right now I've just really been getting into the Hella / Don Cab side of things. Those two and Isis make up about 90% of what I listen to these days, can't get enough of these bands.

I've got the Red Sea and while it's good I felt Mosquito was better. I liked the style a lot better and it had a more cohesive vibe to the whole album for me. I thought their best period was Celestial and Oceanic, anything before or after has stylistic changes that while I enjoy I just don't get into as much as those two albums. That said, I've been playing their two newest albums quite a bit lately.

I need to buy some more Neurosis though. Of the rest of their material (Stuff outside of Sun That Never and Eye Of Every) what's it like compared to those two?

20. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Has anyone else had problems ordering direct from Neurosis? I ordered the album 9 days ago and have yet to either receive the product or hear back from them. I want to hear the new recording, but I ordered this disc through them and plan on ordering the LP in a couple of weeks when it comes out...but I don't need a f'n third copy. So disappointed....