1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neuser top identification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I've been bitten by a Neuser-bug recently, and I've been drooling over this Cloudbust 6-string recently.

[​IMG]

So, what wood is the top?

2. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Another pic:

[​IMG]

So, is that quilt, spalt, burl, or what?

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Looks a bit like bubbled quilt maple to me.

4. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Jeez, the poor thing could use a cleaning, eh?
    Yes, it has some of that 'bubble' quilt look but I would say that the top is mostly burled. IMO the burl is the focus, while some of the other figure like flame and quilt show up towards the edges, especially towards the horns. I don't see any spalting in there.
    I've never seen a pic of a 6-string Cloudburst before.
    Nice piece!

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    It looks like a maple burl...

6. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks! That Cloudburst is being sold in a local music store. I know that it needs some cleaning, but what can I do?:p

I am currently negotiating for a fretless Neuser Cloudburst 6.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Wow, nice! Where do you live?
    Yeah sorry, earlier I meant that the store should have cleaned it, not you! :p
    The fretless is beautiful. Do you know what preamp is in it? I haven't seen many used, especially 6 strings. Are these two basses from the same owner or does the store just happen to have two Neuser Cloudburst 6 strings in stock? :D

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    BTW, I just noticed the counter-sunken bridge on the fretless. It's apparent in the first pic of the fretless, especially behind the treble side of the bridge. Doesn't seem to be on the fretted bass, though. Makes sense since it would put the bridge's optimal adjustment range slightly lower for silky-smooth fretless action! :bassist:

9. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Hi!

I live in Finland. A local store, Kitarapaja (Finnish for Guitarshop) has TWO 6-string Neuser Cloudbursts that are being sold. They are both used basses. The prices are 2200 for the fretted and 2100 for the fretless, but I'm making the deal directly with the owner so I don't have to pay the 15% free for the store.

The basses have a EBS preamp. The same one I have in my Crusade 4:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233646&highlight=neuser+crusade

The pickups are Bartolini soapbars. I just swapped the same pickups for the Crusade.

Finnish bass players tend to be very conservative and old-fashioned, and 6-string hifi-basses don't seem to move here. Both of the cloudbursts have been in the shop for several years.

10. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Didn't notice that when I played the bass a few weeks ago. Gotta check it out.

The action wasn't really low, but it can always be adjusted. But it was a fantastic bass!

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Do the tops on the Neusers qualify as "exhibition grade" maple?

12. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I don't think either one would qualify as exhibition-grade but it's always hard to tell with photographs. Ideally, everyone from the supplier to the luthier to the distributor would all have similar grading methods but that's not always the case. A supplier might grade a top as AAA, hoping to get as much money for it as possible, while a highly scrutinous luthier may only grade it as AA, and so on.

To get an idea of what qualifies as 'exhibition', check out this page from Ken Smith's website. He knows what's up!
    http://kensmithbasses.com/woodpages/tigermaple(w).html