1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neutral Jazz Bass onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Oct 17, 2013.

1. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello
    Can you ask me what' s the more neutral onboard bass preamp for Jazz Bass ?
    I look for a preamp that's not detract the passive sound of the pickups, a preamp for more flexibility but that can retain the grain of passive tone too.

J retro perhaps ?

Thanks

2. Glockenklang

3. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hi
    And the J retro ?
    Thanks

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    no active preamp is going to sound like the bass did passive. the minute you wire up the pickups to the pre, the buffering is going to widen the sound before you do anything with the tone controls.

5. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello
    this is because there is no more passive tone control or it is the fact of placing the preamp before the cable ?
    The only solution is outboard
    Have you making test of the same preamp in outboard and onboard version ?
    Thanks

6. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    The same bass in passive mode and with different preamps:
    http://youtu.be/CwxXVRxhndA
    Watch it in high quality with some good headphones to see/hear yourself the difference.

7. I have a J retro-it colors the sound quite a bit.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    theres no cable loading. i made some clips and posted them in a thread somewhere with a 75 ri jazz and an alleva coppolo preamp both onboard and in a stompbox. the tone is noticeably different. if you like the sound of a passive bass and just want to goose some frequencies, outboard is the way to go. otherwise its always going to sound "active".

9. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello
    Have you tested the J retro ?
    Because it's was made with jazzbass on mind ?
    thanks

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've had very good results with an Audere jazz plate onboard preamp. About as transparent as it gets, and dead quiet.

MM

BassChuck likes this.
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    j retros have an active blend so its flat setting is even brighter than running a couple of 250k pots before the input of the pre.

and ive tried retros,auderes,barts,sadowsky,coppolo's with jazz basses and the audere was the least favorite of the bunch. my current favorite that i use in my 76 jazz is a musicman 2 band pre.

12. A second vote for the Audere. I installed one on my Jazz, and it just gives you more of what is already there.

13. In my subjective opinion something like "Neutral Jazz Bass onboard preamp" doesn't exist. Preamp is made to shape your sound, if you want someting neutral just boost your signal (but it also make changes in your sound) or just turn up the volume...

14. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if your only criteria is that it still sounds like jazz bass than any preamp will do.

16. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hi again
    My criteria is that i don't want a preamp with extreme settings that mask the sound of the bass. I want listen the bass not the preamp..
    Thanks

17. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  18. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    True. Maybe it's a subtle change for some people but…

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    Don't use the extreme settings. If you keep them flat or close to it, you'd probably be happy with any of the pres

20. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello
    I found this on the J retro information :
    A very gentle built in contour gives immediate colour without detracting from the basic sound of any bass.

If u can explain me it can help for take my decision..

Thanks