1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neutral sounding 4x10" Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuzyCreamcheese, Sep 15, 2008.

1. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Good day all,

I currently have a "practice" Markbass 12" Combo which I wish to upgrade to small gig rig. Meaning I wish to add another 4x10" cabinet.

I was going to buy a 4x10" rear bass reflex cavinet but I wish to know my other possibilities.

I've checked out following brands/cabinets but would like to have your opinion;
    1. Markbass Standard 104HR, Tried but but not really convinced yet.
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=29
    2. Aguilar GS 410 or DB 410, Haven't tried it yet (probably will this weekend) but I'm wondering if its "neutral" enough.
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_db410.htm
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_gs410.htm
    3. Epifani UL 410, tried it at a friends and liked it a lot but very hard to get here in Belgium
    http://www.epifani.com/products/concert410.php
    4. Vanderkley 4x10 LT, a quite unknown Dutch brand I guess but was really surprised with the quality of this unit, downside is thats a bit pricey and its not as "neutral" as the other cabinets. That and it already took me some time to get used to the yellow Markbass cone and now a red cabinet ...
    http://www.vanderkleyspeaker.com/4x10lt.htm
    5. Your suggestion. Im looking for a "neutral"(soundwise) sounding cabinet in the price range of €1000-€1200.

Thanks in advance

2. Not sure what's available in Belguim? Accugroove's are (supposed to be) very colorless (neutral) sounding cabinets.

- Did you really want rear-ported only?
    - How much time before you purchase (eg, shipping from USA)?
    I have a few Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com) cabinets; they're much more 'neutral' than the Markbass or Aguilar; would probably be closer to the Epifani.
    They distribute to Europe as follows:

Holland: Rob at Wiersma Global Products
    rob@wiersmaglobalproducts.nl, Albert Hahnweg 148, 7242EL, Lochem, +31613201906
    "For other countries, please check with a freight forwarder like shopUSA.com ...we can ship to them and they forward to you."

Doubtful that you'd be able to hear one in person, but check talkbass or just ask and someone can post a sound link. The Markbass amp + Avatar speakers is a popular combination in the States (as well as MarkBass + Epifani), the relatively colorless Avatar speakers combined with the shaping possibilities on the MarkBass make for a lot of useable options.

3. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    No, I don't need a rear ported its just that I tried both rear and front ported Markbass cabinets and preferred the rear ported.

4. Ok, understand, I generally prefer the rear ported sound too. Dr. Bass will ship anywhere worldwide (http://www.drbasscabs.com/default.php) but again, it might be hard for you to preview their sound in Belgium.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I don't know how available they are in Europe, but my suggestion would be a Bergantino 4x10: either the HS410, or the AE410 which weighs less due to the neodymium speakers.

www.bergantino.com

6. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    This has nothing to do with 4X10 cabs but I know the real Suzy Cream Cheese and all of her Children.

She lives in the Northbay California, and has 4 Kids.

Gruvi, BB, Sky, and Phreakus.

Freak Out!

7. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    +1

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just a side note...the port location has zero to do with the amount of low end a cab produces. Any differences between the Markbass rear ported and front ported are because of the size of the cab. The port could be anywhere.

9. sasaman85

sasaman85

Apr 11, 2008
    I can suggest you A.T.S. 4x10 is very loud and they very neutral sound :)

10. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    if you prefer "neutral" go Glockenklang. No coincidence that a good number of luthiers have Glockenklang rigs to demo / test their basses.

http://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/products_bass.htm

the Quattro costs € 1189, the Take Five unfortunately a bit more.

11. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Thank you for all the replies. I might go out and try the Glockenklang cabinet.

But what are the opinions on Aguilar, because someone down the street is selling a second hand 4x10" (The mesh thing is ripped though ... Can I repair this?). I know that there are a lot of fans, but the thing is, is it neutral enough?

Oh and I forgot to mention that it needs to be a 8 Ohm and Bergantino (According to the website) only has 4 Ohm 4x10" cabinets.

12. sKu

sKu Guest

Jan 14, 2008
    The difference between Glockenklangs Take Five und Quattro is the mainly the weight and the cover material (Quattro = structured lack, Take Five = needle felt..)
    The Speakers and the inner design are the same.
    I couldn't make out a difference in the sound...

but they're definitely the most neutral sounding cabs I've ever heard.

13. Albibass

Albibass

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    If you really like the Vanderkley sound, I know a shop where they have their secondhand 4x10 at 70% of the retail price.
    It's in Antwerp so, that's not far.

14. acmebass.com Take a look at the B4

Paul

15. Er zijn er in mijn ogen maar twee die daaraan voldoen: Hevos en Glockenklang. Ik zou voor de Hevos gaan. Zij zitten in Panningen (Nederlands Limburg) en vanuit Brussel goed aan te rijden. Succes, Ser

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  17. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Far too rich for my blood...but I've heard/read nothing but good press over the Jonas Hellborg signature cabs. (seen them priced between €630 - €1100 depending on the size)

I'm a complete Hellborg fanboy so forgive some bias...

18. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Only suggestion I have for you is EBS-very nice stuff, not cheap, though. Sidenote, I really dig the Vanderkley 312. It looks kickin'.

19. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    The Original Suzzy Creamcheese is the Ex Wife, of Frank Zappas good Artist Friend, Vito Pauleakus. Vito, Carl Franzoni (Captian F@#$), and Suzi are all in the photo in the Freak out album jacket. I think they are listed as being part of Vito's Dance Troupe.

They ended up living in Cotati CA. According to her she didn't actually record the voice of Suzy Cream Cheese on Franks Album, except for some reason I think thats her saying "Forget it!!" When they ask Suzzy Cream cheese whats got into you. At least thats what her voice sounds like.

That said I've seen other women claiming to be Suzzy Cream Cheese. Maybe she's the one that sat in and played Suzzy on the recording??

Vito Died in the early 90's of Luekimia, Suzy is still around. Her oldest Daughter Gruvi just passed away. Her Sons, B.B. Sky and Phreakus, are still alive and well.

The Suzzy Cream Cheese I know was known as Suzzy Creamcheese before 1965...

I doubt she's the same chick.

I guess the big question is who had the name first?

Sorry to derail the thread, back to neutral 4X10's