1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neutrik® Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wave rider, Oct 15, 2013.

1. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I need to create a Neutrik speaker cable for my Bag End cab. I've read that I'll need to connect +1/-1 on the amp end and +2/-2 on the Bag End end. I know I could get a Neutrik to 1/4" Phone plug cable, it's time I stepped up to current technology. (Dang, a redundancy and a pun in the same paragraph...)

Any desirable vendors for the Neutrik ends that you folks would recommend?

Is 12 gauge lamp cord a good type of wire between the ends or is there a better choice?

Thanks in advance for the advise, I've learned so much here in the years I've been reading TalkBass.

=wr=

2. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-050 is one source. The wiring (screw terminals NO soldering at all) should be 1+,1- at both ends for full range. 12awg is overkill unless you will have a long length like 50 feet or greater, but will be fine. 16awg if 10 feet or under unless the power is over 1,000 watts.

3. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks B-String!

The plugin plate on the Bag End says it is wired +2/-2 as BEs are set up to send the +1/-1 to an accompanying sub woofer. I'll email BE to know for sure...

=wr=

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I did the same once. Be sure you identify which end is wired which way (I used tape)

IMG_2278.

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    ^^^^

I like it! What kind of wire is that?

=wr=

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Rewire the Bag End jack to +1/-1 so you can use any speakon to speakon cable.

7. That is interesting, I would assume a low pass filter in the main cab? Wonder why the un-standard input wiring. 2+,2- is usually used for mid or high signals. Different strokes I guess :)

8. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
  9. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    ^^^^

Thought about that too; I am often an electrical dunce. I did build a Heathkit clock radio when I was a teenager though...

=wr=

10. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Basic 14ga speaker cable, but covered with Charcoal TechFlex.

11. I built almost every kit Heath produced either for schools, friends or myself. What a great era that was.

12. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I think Bag End considers their instrument cabs as a mid/highs worker. I think some of their subs will go down to 8 hertz...

Not that I need 8 hertz. :D

=wr=

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    It was. That clock radio had the most awful sounding alarm, too often I woke up with numb arms/hands from sleeping on them and had to paw the alarm to submission.

I've got a Dynaco pre and Stereo 70 that I need to get refurbished some day; probably sooner than later since I'm 61.

=wr=

14. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks! Looks high tech and sturdy.

=wr=

15. I'm not too far behind you. Do it now while the hands still respond well to commands ;)

16. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for your advise and recommendations. I snagged a speakon to 1/4 inch in town to tide me over until I get a parts express order going.

I didn't want to have to stare at a new amp without being able to play it since it is a speakon only amp.

=wr=

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Rewiring the cab is the easiest thing in the world. Take the jack panel off, and you'll see all 4 connections from the Speakon jacks and they are labeled. Just pull them off and move them over to the correct terminals.

All you need is a screwdriver and maybe a pair of pliers for the terminals.