Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neutrik disassembly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptune, Apr 2, 2001.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Hey Folks,
    I'm hoping someone can help me. I want to change my speakon configuration in order to run bridged mono on my QSC PLX-2402. I'm trying to open up the connector. It doesn't unscrew, and I don't see any small allen nuts etc. holding it together. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

2. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Does it look like the one I attached? If it does turn the blue thing counterclockwise. It has little ribs in the top of the blue thing that catch on the clip that holds the cable, so you have to twist hard. Just use some pliers. You'll probably hear a cracking like it's breaking, but it's not. The blue thing will be fine, it just won't lock as tight the next time you screw it down, so don't un-screw it more than a couple times or you'll strip the ribs. Also once you get it open, don't tighten the screws that hold the wire ends in too tight or the metal things will bend. To connect a new cable, strip it like normal, and slide the end in and tighten. It's pretty simple once you figure it out.

3. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I've been trying to figure out how to disassemble one of these things myself ...

Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the accurate reply.

4. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks! You da man! Er....no..wait.....You da AssMan! I've been anxiously waiting to see what a little headroom sounds like. Thanks again.

5. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Do you already use speakons or are you switching from 1/4"? If you're switching, the speakons do make a big difference. With my noise gate on when I used 1/4"s, my amp was silent, now with speakons, I hear a bit of static because they make my amp that much louder and clearer. oh yeah, You're wellcome too. I wreked a plug figureing this out, that was when I switched over to speakons though. The connectors should come with instructions.

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I've been using the speakons since I got my new setup. I can't run 1/4" out of the QSC, (Speakon or binding posts outputs only) so I can't make a comparison. That's good news though. Speakons just seem to make more sense, especially with high wattage.