Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neutrik locking jack socket wiring and other dufus problems, please help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hi,
    I'm currently building a 2x15 speaker cabinet for my A Level Tech project. I don't have any kind of knowledge about what anything is called so forgive me if this sounds like gibberish but I'm not some kind of dufus, honest.

The speakers are 8 Ohm and the amp I am using is 4 Ohm so I'm gonna wire them in parallel. I'm using a Neutrik locking jack socket with three prong bits sticking out the back. One says 'Gr' which I assume is Ground/Earth (this one is thicker than the other two), one says 'tip' and the other one doesn't say anything next to it. What I need to know is what do I wire up to where? The speakers have the + and -? Is the tip + or -? And the same for the others, what is what?

Thanks.

Also, the amp (a McGregor Bassman 200W) has 3 outputs, Ls1, Ls2 and Slave, it says 'minimum 4 Ohms' next to them. If I only use Ls1 will that be a 4 Ohm output? That's what I'm thinking but just in case I'm wrong...

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Please, someone must know this, I'm sure it's not that complicated...

Thanks

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Leave the ground pin alone and use the other two.
    Tip is usually +, but it really doesn't matter, unless you want to combine it with another cab.
    If one is wired the other way, they'll be out of phase.

You can check it with a battery.
    If the cone moves out on one cab, and in on the other, you have to change the wiring on one cab.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Thanks :D, it's in for after the easter holidays so I have to get everything done before I go on holiday on Friday :(