Neutrik Speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassasaurus, Sep 26, 2003.

1. bassasaurus

bassasaurus Zonker Supporting Member

May 24, 2003
    Feel kind of stupid asking this question - I just purchases a ProCo Fatmax Neutrik cable to go between my bass preamp and QSC amplifier. I can get it in and turn it somewhat but it looks like there is a locking mechanism that isn't seating. Is there some trick to this. Thanks.
  2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I'm guessing you mean Neutrik Speakon connectors. there are two different size aligning tabs. when these are correct the plug pushes in and turns to the right. To release there is a spring retaining clip (silver) that you pull back then twist off to the left. If you mean a 1/4" locking jack from Neutrik then check the interior of the jack to be sure the tip has not sprung out of alignment. Which means when you insert your plug the tip hits the contact inside the 1/4 not allowing it to go all the way in.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if its a black or gray plastic plug (not like a headphone or instrument cable) and has a sliding lock on the connector, start by looking at the back of the preamp with the thumb lock near the 10 o'clock position of the hole, push in until it stops, rotate connector clockwise to 12 o'clock, thumb lock should click shut. to remove pull thumblock and rotate counter-clockwise to 10 oclock and pull out.

hope this helps
  4. bassasaurus

bassasaurus Zonker Supporting Member

May 24, 2003
    The amp is a 2402, the cable is a Speakon. I line up the tabs and insert but I am having problems turning it enough clockwise to get the metal tab to click in.
  5. I have the same amp/cable. It's a little tight at first.

Push the connector in all the way and really give it a good turn to the right as described above.

After a couple of goes-ins, goes-outs it'll get a little easier.

Your set-up is probably like mine, there just isn't a whole lot of room in the back of the rack to get a good grip on the connector.
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A thin shot of silicone spray can help the Speakon plug turn more easily in the jack (as long as you don't get any on the parts you have to grip).