Neutrik Speakon Cables? NL2, NL4, NL8, help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The head I just ordered (Kustom Groove Bass 1200) only has hookups for Speakons. Having never used these before (1/4" in the past) I went to go order some cables online. It appears that there are different versions of the Speakons. NL2, NL4, NL8, etc. Is there a standard for what most (if not all) heads use? I looked on the site for my head ( and also downloaded the manual and nothing states what kind of Speakon to use. I may call or email Kustom if nobody here knows.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If it's a single channel amp like that one is (the power amp part, that is), NL2 or NL 4 will work fine. NL2 is cheaper if you're making your own cables. You wouldn't need the extra terminals on the NL4 anyway, and why pay for 4 conductor wires if you're only gonna use 2 of 'em? Also, it appears that the amp comes with a cable, at least from the source I hit on Google. Are you needing to interface to 1/4 equipped cabs?
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yep, I noticed it came with one cable also, but I'm going to be running two cabs. One cab has a speakon and I'm adding one to the second (Dave from Avatar is sending me a new jack panel with the speakon and new wiring). The amp has two speakon outputs, so I figured that I'd run one cable to each cab. So 2 NL2's should do it (so I need to buy just one because the amp comes with one). Thanks soooo much!
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Where I work, we use the 4-pole connectors exclusively. (perhaps that model was the first one, and therfore standard?) Also, all the equipment we buy that has Speakon connectors, use the 4-pole model.
    So I assume that is the one that's on your amp as well. But probably only one pair is hooked up.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been using Speakons for years, and never even knew there was such a thing as NL2 until quite recently, when someone on TB mentioned it. NL2 interfaces fine with the 1+ and 1- part of an NL4, and costs enough less to seemingly justify using it any time you're only using a two conductor cable in a non-bridged situation. If there's a good reason not to assume this, I'm all ears. But, I could see that in a sound company it might pay to just use all NL4s, since you could fabricate whatever you need on the spot, without worrying about finding the right connector.