Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neutrik Speakon Cables? NL2, NL4, NL8, help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi,

The head I just ordered (Kustom Groove Bass 1200) only has hookups for Speakons. Having never used these before (1/4" in the past) I went to go order some cables online. It appears that there are different versions of the Speakons. NL2, NL4, NL8, etc. Is there a standard for what most (if not all) heads use? I looked on the site for my head (Kustom.com) and also downloaded the manual and nothing states what kind of Speakon to use. I may call or email Kustom if nobody here knows.

Thanks!

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If it's a single channel amp like that one is (the power amp part, that is), NL2 or NL 4 will work fine. NL2 is cheaper if you're making your own cables. You wouldn't need the extra terminals on the NL4 anyway, and why pay for 4 conductor wires if you're only gonna use 2 of 'em? Also, it appears that the amp comes with a cable, at least from the source I hit on Google. Are you needing to interface to 1/4 equipped cabs?

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yep, I noticed it came with one cable also, but I'm going to be running two cabs. One cab has a speakon and I'm adding one to the second (Dave from Avatar is sending me a new jack panel with the speakon and new wiring). The amp has two speakon outputs, so I figured that I'd run one cable to each cab. So 2 NL2's should do it (so I need to buy just one because the amp comes with one). Thanks soooo much!

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Where I work, we use the 4-pole connectors exclusively. (perhaps that model was the first one, and therfore standard?) Also, all the equipment we buy that has Speakon connectors, use the 4-pole model.
    So I assume that is the one that's on your amp as well. But probably only one pair is hooked up.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been using Speakons for years, and never even knew there was such a thing as NL2 until quite recently, when someone on TB mentioned it. NL2 interfaces fine with the 1+ and 1- part of an NL4, and costs enough less to seemingly justify using it any time you're only using a two conductor cable in a non-bridged situation. If there's a good reason not to assume this, I'm all ears. But, I could see that in a sound company it might pay to just use all NL4s, since you could fabricate whatever you need on the spot, without worrying about finding the right connector.