Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neutrik Speakon Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So let's say that you have a head with on 1 - Speakon out and you have two cabs with only 1 Speakon each. Note, the head and both cabs also have 2 - 1/4" jacks each. Would you:

A: Run the single Speakon out of the head to the first cab's Speakon in and then run a 1/4" to the other cab?

B: Just run two individual 1/4" lines out of the head to each cab?

I'm thinking that option A might be the way to go if the Speakon is more efficient in handling current than the 1/4". This way the Speakon gets all of the current but then only pushes half of that to the one 1/4". Maybe there are some issues with doing it that way, I don't know. Anybody feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I would run the speakon to cab #1 and then run a 1/4" jumper between the two cabs. Otherwise, I'd just stick with 1/4" plugs.

Unless you are somehow using undersized cable, or you have some freaky series wiring scheme, there shouldn't be any difference.

3. I vote for A. The first cable is carrying the current for both cabs, if either deserves the added current carrying capacity of the speakon, it is the amp-cab1 cable. The other cable will carry half the current, so it is the one begging for the 1/4 inch cable (cab1-> cab2).

Unless you're using very powerful cabs, it isn't much of a big deal no matter which way you go. Although it is way more likely you'll find speakon cables with the heavy guage wire you should be using, and the 1/4 inch cables generally, not always, tend to be less beefy, just because speakon was made mainly for high power and 1/4 may or may not be.
    You can certainly find 1/4 inch cables with 12 ga wire also, just not as common.

Randy

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Thanks guys, I'll go with option A first!