Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neutrik Speakon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazz5757, Aug 11, 2003.

1. I'm expecting delivery delivery of an Aguilar DB750 this week and I understand they use these connectors.....just picked up a pair of GS112's for the Aggie as well. Where can I get these connectors----does anyone have a good source? The store I bought the GS112's from didn't have any, but told me that I just needed to buy some connectors and some cable and that they would be easy to make myself----I'd prefer to just buy them somewhere----any help?

2. Awesome bimplizkit! Thank you very much!

Dave

3. If you want a better deal then that way overpriced cable linked above go to

Redco

Just buy the bulk speaker cable, I use 12 gauge 2 conductor, and the speakon connectors and build them yourself. They end up costing me around $10-12 per cable that way.
    The speakon connectors just screw onto the wire so there is no soldering required.

Scott

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Speakons are CAKE to do yourself. No soldering, just need a small slotted screwdriver and a pocketknife.

Nothing like a rock solid, accident proof connection.

5. I’d love to, but my current employer conducts random drug tests. :meh: My willpower has prevailed.

Glad I could help. :)

Hey OneWayPunk, I personally would also prefer to build my own cable. However, jazz5757 specified that he would prefer to "just buy them (already assembled) somewhere."

:D

6. I realized this right after I posted that. Its good information to get out there anyway though.

Scott

7. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    what's the use of these cables?? Is the sound better with them??

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Try here:

Pro Cables

Just got a 4' biamp
    Speakeon cable from them for my GK 700RB head.

Great service, good prices and nice products...made to order.

9. Beware the imitation Speakon connectors.

I bought several Speakon cables from www.speakerhole.com and was pleased with the cables, but not the connectors.

The asian knockoff copies are not as precise as the real Neutrik connectors. They are DIFFICULT to disconnect. Very difficult. Some are good, others are a pain. The genuine Neutrik are smooth as butter.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I shoul add that ProCables uses the real Neutrik stuff, and Coleman cable, which seems really nice, too.

11. I don't mean to butt in here, but I went to the link at Crown and their illustration is confusing and I think it's wrong.

For the Bridge mode it shows the two positive connections going to the speaker. The two positives should come from the amp meaning +1 and +2 from amp, and regular connection +1/-1 to the cab or speaker. Looked confusing to me, be careful.

12. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Thanks for that, big string !! :cool:

13. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Look more closely at the speaker pix at the Crown website. it shows a + and - next to the speaker. the line from the +1 ends at the + next to the speaker. the line from the +2 ends at the - next to the speaker.
    Speakons are indeed simple to assemble but even with Neutrik's I have had them vibrate apart. We solder all our connections then dress the cable to strain relief tighter and look neater. So the difference in cables sometimes goes beyond the actual materials to include assembly.

14. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Thanks for your support tornadobass!

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You could say that; without speaker cables, there wouldn't be any sound.

Speakon connectors are more robust and reliable than other types of speaker line connection. Their live conductors also can not be shorted out our touched.

16. :D (DB players scurry to shoot a hole in that theory...:) )

Unless you have the curiosity of a cat, and a paper clip. And, according to the fable, you know what happened to the cat.

17. You were right, thanks.
    I stand corrected. I raised the veiw to 200%, I'm getting old.... I didn't think a major supplier like Crown would make a mistake like that, but I just wanted to stress how careful one must be. So, you recommend soldering. What do you dress your cables with?