never again will i play with a low b

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by suasa, Aug 4, 2004.

1. okay i was down at the local shop playin some 5ers and likin it right so then i go down to a friends place later and bam there is a new ibanez gsr 5er on her wall. i was like where did u get this and pick it up start playin a couple licks and it wasnt right. there was high b like a guitar instead of a low b she did this because guitar is her main inturment and she just didnt know what to do with a low b so had anyone else done this and what do u all think of havin a high b i quite liked it and my 5er will defenitely have a high b instead of the low.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

might aswell put a high C instead of a High B. putting a high B is for guitarists who are used to guitars, just put a high C or a low B.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Welcome to the ranks of the minority. Low B is much more popular, but some of us do like to go up instead of down. I have my 6 string tuned EADGCF.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've never played guitar, so a high B would just confuse me. I'd need that high string tuned to C for it to make sense for me. I have a low B on my fiver and more and more I'm thinking that I don't even like 5 strings - but that's just me...
  5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    ever thought about the fact that you just get 4 extra low tones with a 5 str that you have to pay a ^*% load of money for?
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Ummmmmm, I think you missed the point of this discussion. We are discussing the difference between two different varieties of 5 string basses and not the difference between 4 and 5.

BTW, 5 string basses generally cost about the same amount as a 4 string.
  7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

never had a low b on my fiver ... had it strung EADGC , it just felt more natural to me , being a four stringer from way back ...although i do love the sound of low b { especially when it's used properly } , i couldn't get the feel from the 5 string that i did from my old Fender ...
    i don't think i've ever even heard of someone putting a high b on the bass .
    sorry if i strayed from the original question ...
  8. so no one ever put a high b on eh just the high c thats interesting the question is why not the high b?
  9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    JT and a few other like to string 7 stringers BEADGBE, iirc.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I tune all my 6ers BEADGB.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    5- b c c# d eb

Anyway, you get lot more range, which is very useful.
  12. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    yeah, it is 5 extra tones, but you also have that string to come down to when playing in the upper register so you dont have to move your hand down to get the lower notes
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I keep seeing IRC and IIRC in posts.. I,m sorry but that does it mean?
  14. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I'm surprised that everyone understood the original message :D
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As blisshead pointed out, it is five extra notes, not four. Plus, you can play in E without using an open string. And, you can play in D and Eb without playing way up the neck. Plus, you can play in F, F#, G and G# up higher on the neck, but in the same octave. And, you can always have two octaves worth of notes under your fingertips. Plus, you can play tenth and eleventh doublestops easily on the B+D and the E+G strings. And, you can play up higher on the neck, where the fret spacing is closer. 'Spider' technique at the first fret might let you reach five frets, if your hands are large enough. The same technique applied at the 6th - 10th frets can get you 7+ frets, if you have short fingers like me. Some of these guys with long fingers can probably stretch 8 or 9 frets up there. Plus, the E, F, F#, G, G#, etc sound different(fatter) on the B string than they do on the E string. Same note, but with two different tonal colours available.

Nope. Not worth it at all.
  16. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Nope, not worth it a bit...

With a high B you'ld add F, F#, G, G# at the high end of the fretboard, right? Go high C and get an extra whole step up ther.

I guess the same could be said about being able to grab higher notes without changing's all up to which way you want to go.
  17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When you tune to high C, you're staying consistant with tuning in 4ths from string to string. Then, it's easier to play the same physical "patterns" that you would play on the lower strings over the C-string.
  18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

Guitarists are nutters...high B and E? *shakes head*

I think I'll be comfortable with a six, thank-ya-very-much. :D Best of both worlds!
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, since you attempted to hijack the thread, I might as well go along for the ride. Yes, you do only get five semi-tones lower, but that's not the point. You can now play five frets higher on the board, where the frets are closer together. When you need a low note, it's right there. You don't need to go down by the nut where the watermelons grow.