Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Never been in this position before

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 25, 2005.

1. See, we been gigging for about two years now. we all have good jobs outside of our band, which none of us could really give up if we want to support ourselves.

To our good fortune, in the last 6 months, our band has gained a very good reputation and following and now we're getting offers for every weekend.

It used to be great - a few gigs a month. now we are looking at every friday, saturday and sunday. its kind of flattering that we are in demand, but i can't give up an executive position with my company for my band, sorry.

the real issue is with the singer - he wants to make it his career, which is all fine. I have suggested that he find a few other players that he can work with so that he can get all those gigs that me and the drummer can't do. He says that the instinct and feel of this band can't be replicated and he won't play without us.

Have any of you guys ever been in this position?

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes I have been in that position and I'm sure countless others have been too.

You need to do what is right for you. No one ever gains anything by compromising themselves.

Do you have a wife and/or kids? That would make your decisions even easier. They come first.

As far as one member wanting something others in the band don't, there is no way that will ever work out. Everyone has to be on the same page with the same goals.

Why is it singers are always the ones that have this dream of being a star? They just sing for crying out loud!!!

Tell your singer to try American Idol and then when he gets totally thrashed, he'll realize he won't make it big and then welcome him back with open arms. ;)

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Not really sure about the wife part but yeah the kids come first! But i cant really help you! Because i was a complete bumb when we got that size. But that was years ago without wife or kids.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I feel that my wife comes first...even before the kids. She will be with me long after the kids move out. She is my soulmate. She will always come first. However my kids come in a very close second...to the point of almost no difference between first and second.

But anyway, if there is family involved...they should ALWAYS take prioity over anything else.

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You havent met my wife! Goes in order like this for me! Daughter , bass ,dog,,,,,,,,,,,,,wife :p

6. thanks for the replies

no wife and kids, but a career that is on the up and up. I love gigging, don't want to be a star, and am happy with the frequency of work we get.

anyway, had a long chat with my drummer today, and we both agree that we have already enough band work to keep us happy and balanced with our careers. and just to top it all off, i got a call for another residency this morning!!!

i don't think the singer wants to be a star, he just wants to make a living in the music industry - he's been accepted into a sound recording course.

i agree though - wife, kids and commitments have to come first. Most famous bands don't last much beyond their first couple of albums anyway - and I know one guy who had a massive hit years ago and is now selling real estate.

7. One way to get it under control ( if you want to) is to raise your price. We cut back our playing schedule this year to no more than three times a month. The last three years it was almost every weekend, which I didn't mind, but a couple of the other guys were ready for a little break. I've found over the years of playing when I have a bad work week, the more I enjoy my weekend of playing.

8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    boy, I've been there. The different expectations of band members.

We definitely set a goal of 3 and only 3 gigs a month, and none on the weekdays. We all have regular lives and jobs.

but still, we have one member who has different dreams. He has to fall in line or leave.

We too have an agent who is offering us more work than we'd like. No problem. He knows our goals. We have done as many as 4 in one month, but that was a rarity.

On the other hand, I see bands that gig once a month. That to me wouldn't be enough.

I guess you have to find members with generally the same goals and expectations. There is no other way.