Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

never bought a fender bass... but SERIOUSLY thinking about it (need your help)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, Aug 19, 2004.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    whelp, i wandered into my music store and someone has traded in a few fender jazz basses. One in particular caught my eye. It is a 1998 MIA standard bass in inca silver ( i think thats the color) it has a rosewood fingerboard, and sounds great. I have been playing for a few years, mainly as a hobby, and fumbling around. I have been in a couple bands, and we do well. I currently own a peavey cirrus 5 string, which i would not trade for anything. But my one complaint is that it is 35" scale, which is a bit long for me. I can handle it, but i would like to have something smaller, and in a 4 string that i can use as well.
    The bass is in great shape, feels and sounds great, and i think is calling my name. The price they put on it is $929. Does that sound like a good deal? I have never bought a fender bass before, and i know the MIA ones retain their value quite well. I also understand that the inca silver seems to be a newer color. So to all you fender cats out there, let me know what you think
    -Mike

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

isnt that a bit expensive for a used bass?

3. well, you could probably talk the guy down a bit...929 is about what you'd expect to pay brand new i think...

Charlie

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Seems a little bit high, I bought my 2000 Hot Rod P for $400. Check out eBay, chances are, you'll find a better deal.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

$929 is too much. A used MIA Jazz should run between $600 - $750, depending on condition, how quickly the seller needs to move it, and your negotiating skills.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Way too much money if it is a 98. They made improvements starting in 2000 (when the officially released the "American Series") and those basses are generally of better quality. Inca silver is a brand new color for 2003 AFAIK. I bought a 97 or 98 American standard for $450 brand new.

What you are looking at is a very bad deal IMO especially for a used bass. You can get a brand new MIA Fender from a GC for about $850 if you have skills at talking them down. I was even able to get a new MIA jazz for $750.

7. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks guys, this is exactly why i figured i would post here first. I will see what i can find, especially in ordering a new one. Thanks again!!

8. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    this all being said.... what type of fender jazz can i get for that price, or cheaper?

9. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    ALSO, ABOUT THE $929... if that comes with the case, is that still too much? Im not sure if it does,but i figured id ask to see if it would make a difference

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just paid around that (new) for my MIA Fender Jazz and got it with an ash body and maple fretboard, which is optional and maybe $150 more list than the standard. Also got a Fender HS case. I would think you could get a used deluxe series if you wanted the extras or save the money and go used on a plain old MIA Jazz. The prices Embellisher quotes are typical here as well...

Of course, if you are open to jazz basses other than Fender, I looked at one of the Lakland Joe Osbornes for just under $1,000 and I hear really good things about them. I just happened to want a Fender...

11. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Fender is offering new American jazzes for that price, and there's a rebate on top of that. Check your online stores or good local dealers.

Glenn D.

12. In the new MF catalog (or the huge 21st anniversary one) has American Jazzes brand new for $869 with a hardshell case and free Fender 18' Protone Cable.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    As the owner of Jazz basses purchased new and used i can definately tell you thats way too much. That price is for the new bass with the s1 switch. I purchased a nos 2000 natural ash bodied maple neck bass new for 799.00 2 years ago. 650 no more than 700.00 tops in mint condition, that's with case and all!

14. Just my opinion, but - I wouldn't invest in any used Fender stuff post 1980. That being said and considering the cost of even beaten 70's pieces (I won't even mention 60's or 50's stuff), Fender does make a couple of nice instruments now in the Custom Shop. They're a bit pricier but I think they'll hold their value fairly well - i.e. the Custom Classic, Relics and their varied 'aged' varieties. And I still think the '62 reissue (Jazz or P) is worth a look...and that's not out of the Custom Shop...and should be able to pick up one of those for just under a grand.

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I know some of our members will positively cringe when I say this, but the Fender HWY 1 basses are worth a look. Forget the matte finish if you can and they play well and sound good. As has often been said, some Fenders are better than others so you'll want to pick and choose. If I were in the market for new Jazz and didn't want to spend the big bucks I would not hesitate to buy one. You can pick'em up new for $600-625 all day long.