Never Buy A Small Crate Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer420, Jul 20, 2001.

1. crate amps SUCK! if u wanna play a high pitched song they get all outta wak and start spitting out static and ****! i advise noone to buy one unless they play pussy songs that you dont wanna turn up loooooooud! laterzzzzz - 420
  2. Crates are decent at doing the job they're intended for: being a small starter amp. You can't expect them to be loud. Get a bigger amp if you want more volume.

That said, there are better sounding small amps out there, but you get what you pay for.
  3. "they get all outta wak and start spitting out static and ****! i advise noone to buy one unless they play pussy songs that you dont wanna turn up loooooooud!"

puh...what? wak? static? all amps will do that if you turn it to 11 and start playing high notes on the G. playing 'pussy' songs has nothing to do with volume. you can't expect that much from a 12 watt amp with 8" speaker. what do you really want to do? play a friggin stadium with it? there are MUCH worse amps out there imo. are you TRYING to sound stoned?
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry, but my Crate BX-100 is suiting me just fine, and my guitarists are using Line6 and Bassman RI. I throw on an extra cab, and I don't even have it up halfway.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Dirty secret: Crate and Ampeg are owned by the same corporate parent. The former, of course, is intended primarily for the budget market, the latter for amp snobs.
  6. Oh boy here we go again.....

I have a Crate BFX50,nice little starter/practice amp.I have`nt had any problems with it,there are better amps/combos out there I got a good deal on mine so...

A buddy of mine helped me set up my settings on the amp and now it sounds muchmuch better.You may need to tweak your amp settings to find what works best with certain songs/etc.

Here`s an idea! :D Since it sucks so much just take it down to the local goodwill store. ;)I`m sure somebody can get some use out of it!
  7. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    how small do you mean?

i used to use a 150w head through a marshall 4x12 cab. and it would blow your boobies off man :)
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for the professional review. :rolleyes: Should someone edit one of these words?
  9. I have a small Crate amp that I use for recording, and if you look at my signature you can find what they sound like. I know I wouldn't call my music "pussy".
  10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000

420, welcome to Talkbass. No offence, but there are better ways to express your opinion. Most people around here are tolerant of those who disagree with them (the operative word is most, however... :rolleyes: ), but they can be just as forceful as you with their opinion.
  11. hehe "are you trying to sound stoned?" listen i just wanted to tell you what I experienced. my lil crate is about 12 inch, and i try to play low G and it spits out all this complete static, i took it in to get it fixed and they said it was beyond repair, A BRAND NEW AMP! i got this so i could play in my small room, but still have enough power to play some loud stuff. and i wasnt thinkin when i said "pussy" stuff it was just a comment, hehe ill lok into getting a bigger amp. SORRY,, and btw, im not stoned! haha laterrrrrrrzzzzzz- 420
  12. maybe this was a reply.... to.. some thread... :confused:
  13. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    hey buddy, I totally agree with ya. I have a crate BFX15 with DSP. An 8 inch speaker that puts out 12 watts of pure ****. The limiter on it is set wayyyy too low and it clips off everything. It is hard to get good tones out of this thing unless you fiddle with the EQ for a few hours. I found that if i put the low on around 12 o clock and the mids off and the highs at 3 o clock, that sounds pretty good. The mids sound like crap on this amp, so i just shut them all the way off. This tone gives me good tones, until it clips off when i play too loud. The DSP isnt that good, I should have just bought FX pedals instead. They shouldnt have closed that thread. Small crate amps do suck, the big ones are probably better as they are made by the same company that makes Ampeg amps. I was decieved by this information when i first bought this amp a year and a half ago. (basically I thought it was a 12 watt ampeg)

14. i must've gotten a good crate from reading these posts. i had this tiny bx15 and i could turn that tank up to its' peak and still get decent sound from it. there was no limiter or anything like that going on. probably just the newer models.
    didn't mean to be so blunt

oh yeah and your signature is by the man marley. sublime just covered it.
  15. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Correct. I smelt the slightest hint of burning in the original thread, so closed it before flames broke out. However, the discussion continued, in another thread, in a civilised manner so I've merged them together and reopened the thread. Which is why your post is now here.

Play friendly, everyone. :)
  16. I would disagree with that, i just got a breand new 70 wt. crate amp after having a small 15wt. one, and this amp is then best, it's lound and heavy, people can here it 3-4 houses away! :)
  17. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I get nothing but good comments on the tone from my Crate BX-100 (and these are from both non-musicians as well as musicians). I've never had any problems with my BX-15 even though I've run it at 2 ohm loads for hours on end fully cranked up before (which, by the way, it is obviously not designed to do). Actually, I get more comments on how good my tone is when I use my Crate than when I use my SWR (kinda odd, isn't it?).
  18. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I have a Crate BFX 100T and I really enjoy it. It has a much thicker tone(my preference) than the 1x15 and 2x10 combos I've played. Its light, easily carried, and quite loud for what I need. So I could not be happier, esp. for the price.
  19. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I use a BX-100 at church all the time. It's as loud as I need there (albeit not by much), and although I'm not crazy about the tone, it does the job fine.

Whoever decided to put the handle on top instead of the sides should be kicked in the nads though. :)
  20. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't like crate amps myself, but i think they have a price tag to match, but i think your opinion could have been more influential and persuading if it was a little more formal.