1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

never changed bass strings before, help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bushy, Dec 6, 2018.

1. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    may you all suggest to me what bass strings should I get? I have the Ibanez Mikro bass guitar (short scale). I thought I saw that there was a specific strings for these short scale basses, but can't find it in the stores. The Guitar Center salesman told me he has never really seen one of those so I guess I'll buy a regular string and just cut it?

I play rock and metal so anything specific at all? Is it usually "harder" strings like I would choose for my guitars as well or is it different for bass guitars?

2. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Generally speaking, round wound strings either nickel or stainless is preferred by the most rock/metal players, but there's no rule. I've never used a short scale bass though..

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I used medium scale on my Hofner which is short scale. They worked just fine. Steel strings generally brighter tone, with nickel strings less brighter and easier feeling on fingers.

5. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Probably have to order online. None of my local stores carry short scale bass strings.

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
  7. 2strings2frets

2strings2frets Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Look on the rack for D’Addario nickel wound EXL220S I just put a set on my mikro ,they fit and play fine. Don’t cut a string on the thick part it will come apart. Do what you will with the dweeb salesman.