1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Never get in a car for a roadtrip w/out stocking CDs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ekim, Apr 5, 2006.

1. I have to rant here. I just went from Indy to Chicago and back and I only brought 2 CDs. I figured the lady driving ALWAYS has her Victor Wooten CDs with her so we can do those for at least 3 hours or so and my other two would make up for most of the rest.

NOPE! She left them in her house. The other woman driving with us busts out her "cool stuff".

First disc: Programmed drums and/or loops. Lots of programmed "bass". NO key changes in a good number of the songs. Boring, lifeless, swingless and BALL-less sax soloing on every damn tune.

Second disc: Programmed drums and/or loops. Lots of programmed "bass". NO key changes in a good number of the songs. Boring, lifeless, swingless and BALL-less sax soloing on every damn tune. But this time with some vocals! Too bad those sucked too.

Third disc: Wait for it! Yes! MORE of the same!

I wanted to turn around and scream "DO YOU EVEN HAVE A SOUL????"

How do people listen to this crap? I hate Kenny G, but doesn't he at least use a band to record?

I was debating on if it was worse to use my car keys to kill myself or her!

I'm never going on a road trip again unless it's my car and CD booklet. I wish I had eaten lots more Mexican food last night just so I'd have my revenge. With greasy beans and tons of hot sauce. Then I wish the windows couldn't roll down either.

11 hours. Almost all in the car, listening to CRAP!

I'm putting on Faith No More to erase the stain on my soul...

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, I hear you. Nobody touches my stereo when I am driving. Usually, when my wife is driving, I listen to what I want anyways, or I bring a cd player with good headphones.

Of course, when she's driving, I am usually hanging on for dear life. So I don't concentrate on music so much! :p :D

3. did you attempt any conversation?

4. I've always found it handy to have some CD's on a road trip. I usually only put them on when I'm driving though. Last week I had to endure about 3 hours of a 'Top 100' of opera songs while going to Melbourne. It was like having my brain pierced and squashed. Fortunatly JJJ came back into range :)

5. Well yeah. But my talk tends to be profanity-laden and there was a kid in the car. Oh yeah, forgot about that part. And the ladies forgot to tell me she'd be coming.

I'm scheduling a vasectomy tomorrow.

The worst part? I just went along for the ride.

No, I take that back. The worst part is that we're going to the north side of Chicago. Driving through blocks and blocks of ethnic areas. Probably some of the best restraunt areas in the Midwest. So where do they want to eat?

Old Country Buffet.

FNM's "Angel Dust" gave me some cathartic release. Next up? Some real jazz... what to pick...

6. When going on a road trip CDs are first priority when packing.

7. Conver-what?

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    A high capacity mp3 player with a line in input is your answer.

9. I can relate...I have to drive to school and back and i ride alone just because its easier - I have tennis practice adn all of my friends and I split up during the after school hours.

My friend borrowed all my CDs so i was left with Hampton Comes Alives by phish, a massive 6 CD set. Man phish go tboring after a week of listening to them...never thought that'd happen

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You and me both.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This is worse than the music problem. When I was in Atlanta last March, one of the guys in my class went out to dinner with me one night. I was looking for something unique to Atlanta or the south. He wants to go to Azteca! What a dork.

-Mike

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Oh dude! same here... sometimes it takes me longer to choose a cd to put in then acctually getting to the store :)

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I am so sorry! I hate dealing with idiots.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What's a CD?

15. An obsolete form of data storage.

What I don't get is why people always need to listen to music constantly? Am I the only person who likes a little bit of silence now and then? Especially in a vehicular setting where you can't devote your full attention, and the car noise interfere's with the listening experience? Maybe I'm just bitter because whenever I carpool to a show with my band I have to listen to 5 hours of death metal.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dood, my total daily drive is 140 miles. The car's engine noise only works for the first 5 miles or so.

17. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    No, man... I'm with ya. I've got a vinyl LP collection of modern music (TOOL, a perfect circle, Pearl Jam, STP, Norah Jones, etc.) of about 120 albums, and I hardly ever listen to it because when I do, I want to be paying attention.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What? Do you have tourrettes or something?

Good grief man, it's called self control!

bc

19. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I know what you mean we were in the states wanting to check out all the cool fast food we don't have here, and my friend wanted to go to macdonalds

20. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I've forgotten my iPod a few times on my trip to work ( a mere 25 min). Let me tell you, twice was enough. It never leaves my side now, even just getting milk or running some errands. I admit it, I'm addicted...:help: