Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Never give your guitarist the washer from your straplock

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Kronos, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey folks...

I have a set of Schaller straplocks on my strap (which has chains and loops and all sorts of fancy heavy things on it).

When I first installed the straplocks on the strap (when I bought the strap new), the threads of the schaller didn't go far through the strap since the strap was thick.

Meanwhile, my guitar player was basically anchoring his straps to his guitars just by putting the screw with a washer on top of the strap itself through to the guitar.

He ran out of washers.

I had one that wouldn't fit on my strap.

I gave it to him to use.

Flash forward a few months....

Playing a show, in the beginning of my last song, the strap lock on the upper horn pulls through the strap, and the bass is now resting in my hands.

Needless to say, my hand was starting to hurt. Thank god for the combo amp that was close by. I leaned the tail end of the bass on it. I was able to complete the show without the strap doing anything good. And, I didn't miss a beat...:smug:

So, I'm going to get a thinner washer, and NOT give it to my guitar player.

2. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Dude ,
    Done that one better I used to do the over the shoulder toss in the eighties one time I had a straplock bust and I beaned the drummer.
    He didn't like that either.

3. Ah, the eighties... what a decade, lol!

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    You do realize that the strap lock part on your guitar can double as just a regular strap holder, so you could have just unlocked the straplock and hooked the strap on.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I thought of that, but I was in the middle of playing...I didn't have a chance to do so. :/

6. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass